Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:14 PM   #1

Default reception lighting senario

sorry for my spelling...i am worst. anyway... i have been paid to take shots at a wedding reception tomorrow night. i have little experience in this area, but took some as a guest at another reception and was asked based on those photos.( photos were shot wide open at 1.4 and for the most part okay...deleted some) the b&g are friends and know i have more experience in other areas, such as portraits. the light will be low, twinkle lights, candles and the spillover light from halls etc. the gear i have to work with are: canon 5D, 50L, 35L 28-70, other lenses are too long or dark. also have a 580ll speedlite. my main concern is nailing the shots as the couple are announced...no chance to re-take those. i am afraid to shoot ambient light...chances for blur or missed focus. how would you use the flash in this circumstance. later, meandering through the crowd i can play with ambient light a bit more. am going down tonight to see the reception hall and study the light there. i'll take numbers if you have them..and practice shooting them.
thanks, donna

Last edited by Donna A.; Mar 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM.
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:32 AM   #2

You didn't leave a lot of time for replies, but maybe will get some better help than I can give. My suggestion would be, if the ceiling height allows, to shoot with bounce flash. Not familiar with the flash you have, but if it has pullout catch lite card, use it as well. In similar circumstances, I have gotten good results this way, keeping the flash angle at the 75 degree setting.
Since the B&G are friends, you might be able to persuade them to let you do some re- shoots of them if you happen to miss the moment a couple times.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:03 AM   #3

thanks. i have the 580ll speedite and it does have the bounce card. i went down last night when they were decorating and practiced different light scenarios. i feel a bit better.
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:02 PM   #4
NHL

I wouldn't shoot at f/1.4 for sure...
Most likely you won't get everyone into focus and with a flash you won't have any problem with the lighting and the smaller apertures (f/4-5.6 or above) will get sharper pictures along with the higher contrast!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote