Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 3, 2010, 5:39 PM   #1

Default Flash Help!

Tomorrow, my second grandaughter will be born and I want to be sure I get the best pix possible. I have a Sony Alpha 200. Should I leave the white balance set to auto? I am a novice, particularly taking pics inside a hospital room. Any tips will be greatly appreciated and cherished for years to come.

Jon
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 6:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

You can leave it in Auto or go for Flash as a white balance. Also if you shoot in RAW then it doesn't matter as you can do what you like afterwards with the RAW converter. Or RAW and Jpg if it has the option so you can use the jpg unless there are issues which means go back to the RAW.

Are you using built in flash or external?

Oh and congratulations!!!!
Old May 3, 2010, 9:19 PM   #3

I'm using the built in flash. I'm fired up. As they say, if I had known how much fun grandkids were, I would have had them first.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:55 PM   #4

outhouse-

Since you are using the A-200's built-in flash unit, be sure you remain within the Flash Range (the distance measured in feet between subject and the camera) of your camera which should be 10 to 11 feet. Also position that new baby so it eyes do not take in any direct light from the flash. As newborns in the first 30 days do not have full iris/pupil control to shield against bright light like a camera's flash.

Your A-200 has good high ISO capability (I suggest ISO 1600 for starters). Just set the higher ISO and switch the White Balance to Incandescent/Tungsten and take a few photos in that mode, if the extra light becomes objectionable to mother and/or newborn.

Just a bit of advice from a Mom of eight who has some hospital room experience with newborns.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 9:38 PM   #5

Also, if it is looking through the glass into the nursery, don't use flash as will reflect back at you when it hits the glass. Use the Incadescent/Tungsten white balance with higher ISO as mtclimber mentioned. Also, be sure to hold the camera steady when not using the flash as will probably have a slower shutter speed, depending on the lighting.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips, pics came out great as did my new Stella.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:17 AM   #7

Outhouse-

That is really good news. Congratulations on your photos and new grand daughter.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote