Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:39 PM   #11

External light meters can be reflective as well. A spot meter is reflective and can't be incident. To turn the reflective light meter to an incident meter involves attaching a translucent disk or dome over the light sensor.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:10 PM   #12
BDD

Well, the Sekonic 758 DR is an incident meter, and can do spot metering. Go figure. Which is why I asked about spot metering and why Sekonic would add it to their 758. And why a photographer would need one...or would one? Photographers have been using meters w/o it for how long??

I'm trying to decide between the Sekonic 358 or the 758 ("near" future). Along with a studio lighting starter kit. Will buy the meter first. Use when the opportunity presents itself.

Do you have one Bob? Do any of you own one? What are your experiences? Why did you choose that model/brand?

Last edited by BDD; Jun 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:31 PM   #13

I own an "old" Sekonic 508 L (incident mettering, 1 spot mettering, etc.) and Bob's right on track with his advices and comments. You use spot mettering when your subject is too far to get there, some landscapes for instance. But you need some experience to chose a 18% grey spot.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:12 PM   #14
BDD

Ordo,

Ok thanks man. That was what I was wondering. "...when too far...". For landscape shots. And I think also for grab shots you want metered. Sometimes you just don't have time to strike up a conversation with the subject to get their trust or permission. And when they are again "too far".

You have to aim it at something that's "18% gray" when using spot metering? What if there isn't?

Also, the 758 DR has an "illuminated viewfinder". Is this what the two cylinder looking things on either side of the meter is? Is this how you would aim the meter for spot metering?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suTmrEakVzg

I thought the 758 DR was the only one with spot metering.

Hmm...358 or 758? (future purchase)

Last edited by BDD; Jun 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
Ordo,
Sometimes you just don't have time to strike up a conversation with the subject to get their trust or permission. And when they are again "too far".
In that situation, make a previous incident mettering (for the same light conditions as your subject, of course), stick to those settings and EV bracket just in case.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:37 PM   #16

Minolta had a reflective spot meter on the market for many years http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta...potmeter_f.htm and it was highly thought of. Incident meters can't be a spot meter, only reflective. Not to say that the same unit can have several modes by using different attachments.

I have a Zeiss Ikon Ikophot T reflective meter that has an incident disk that flips over the photocell. I've never really used it however and now it's fallen apart!

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Jun 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:39 PM   #17
BDD

Ordo,

That would only be possible if the subject wasn't "too far" and you could incident meter them beforehand. I was talking about if you're just passing by and you only have a few seconds to get that grab shot. Or even if you have a few minutes but they are "too far" (e.g. when traveling).

I guess I'll pickup a 758 DR (later). Should be a good investment.

How often do you use yours? Happy with it? Do you use it outdoors a lot or just in studio?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:32 AM   #18
BDD

Another question for you all.

If I end up with an Elinchrom studio lighting system using their Skyport (transreceiver/receiver) technology how is it that a light meter can still trigger each light? (as seen in this YouTube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cdbasj_iAE&NR=1...) assuming he's using a Sekonic meter.

Getting a PocketWizard setup would be another solution (e.g Sekonic 758 DR talks to PocketWizard receivers, PocketWizard transmitter). With some lights like those from Bowen you can slip in a PocketWizard card.

Last edited by BDD; Jul 2, 2010 at 12:24 AM.