Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:44 AM   #1

Default Question

Is anyone here shooting product tent photography? Is there any money in it? What equipment do you suggest, how much does one charge for such services, and any tips on getting started? Any info would be great. Thanks.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Is anyone here shooting product tent photography? Is there any money in it? What equipment do you suggest, how much does one charge for such services, and any tips on getting started? Any info would be great. Thanks.
I could be wrong but I've not seen anyone here offering those services so you might be out of luck..... even if they are, not sure they will give too many details to potential competition

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:20 PM   #3

First of all, I have to say that I'm not a pro photographer. I take photos as a hobby and I really have no idea how I could price my finished products. Your question is very good and I was hoping that there are some people here willing to give more details about product photos because I have my own story:
I have a friend - a fashion designer - who asked me to take some photos of her products to put on her website. So, here I am, with my 7D, both L lenses (see below), a tripod, my 580EX Speedlite flash and my tent equipped with 2 hallogen lights ready to do the job.
I had to take photos of dresses, high boots - so, no need for light tent.
The ambient light was poor so I had to use the flash - which soon left me alone because I didn't have spare batteries.
My 100mm L lens - which I wanted to use for details - didn't help me a lot because it took too long to change the lenses and take photos of 130 products as fast as my friend wanted to. I mainly used the 24-70mm because I had not enough space to move with the other one.
So, before giving you any advice regarding the equipment, you should first know what kind of products you're ready to shoot. Just in case, bring a collapsible background - or just a large sheet of white/black paper - a tripod (it saved my work with long exposures) and spare batteries. If you want to work in this area, I would suggest to ask yourself first if you want to shoot only small items which don't require investing in additional lights or you want to take any product photography job someone offers you.
As far as the money side, I worked 5 hours to take the photos and then around 48 hours to postprocess them - as I shoot RAW due to the conditions... I gave my friend the photos, she posted them online but she hardly called me to say "hey, I like what you did". Finally she called saying she wants me to come again and do more photos. I'll go again but this time I'll ask her to allow me to sign the photos.
Just learn from other's mistakes and ask for money or at least market your name. As an addition to my long story, I should say that in Romania, people is ussualy asking for around $25/final photo, except for jewelery which is more, because its complexity.
I hope my story helped you in any way and I'm looking forward for others to join this topic. Thanks for reading.