Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:21 PM   #1

Default Fill Flash

I have an outdoor event coming up Saturday. I could just take pictures and accept whatever the results, but I'd like to begin using fill flash in daylight. However, I don't want to come home with 300 bad images.

The how to is not clear to me. I've read a lot (no kidding). The usual suggestions:
1. expose for ambient
2. set flash -1 stop

OK. Sounds good. Suppose it's sunny. Iso200, F/5.6 Shutter 1/500

I could use HSS but that'll lose power so what about the -1 stop setting? I bought the Gary Fong Lightsphere today hoping to diffuse a bit too. That loses light power. So I'm real uncertain now. I could take some pictures, chimp and then make adjustments. but the lcd screen isn't going to tell me much in bright sunlight.

(as an aside the dome in the lightsphere falls out all the time. i taped it on. a very poor performance from such an expensive diffuser)

but back to my question. what in the world do i do?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:45 PM   #2

Check this information out from Ken Rockwell. I am aware as soon as his name is mentioned to some they don't bother to read anything he writes. I do, however, seperate the "wheat from the chaffe". Check it out ... http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:56 AM   #3

I'm OK with Ken Rockwell. I like his folksy style. That article didn't help me much tho. But thanks...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:49 PM   #4

Hi Frank,
I don't know what flash you are using but this blog on the Nikon flash may be of some help. One thing Russ points out in his blog is that diffusers aren't of much help when shooting outdoors as the light from the flash tends to scatter. I have not tested this sufficiently but Russ does make some good points. Thanks for the info you shared on my tripod question.
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/
ticktock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:23 PM   #5

ticktock, thanks for that link. i read the first page and there's quite of bit of interesting thought there. i'll check the rest tonight. I may not be using the diffuser as planned. perhaps i'll just put it aside for indoor use later on. and from 20 feet or so, quite likely the flash will have no effect anyway.