Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:36 AM   #1

Default Nikon 5700

I'm having great difficulty setting up my 5700 with an external power pack. I just bought a Wein Safe-sync and I just cannot for the life of me get it to pop my lights. I've tried to understand the manual to no avail, reading the section on external speedlights several times. The Wien and my PC cord are fine, as I've tried them with my non-digital cameras. I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing, as far as menus on the 5700. Please, if anyone can help me to set up my 5700 properly, I would be grateful. Thanks
Samship8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:37 AM   #2

Default using 5700 with PC lead

You've got to have the internal flash popped up for the hotshoe to fire. Yeah, tell me about it! Obviously you don't want the internal flash overexposing your photo, so I cover it with tin foil, rather than just black tape, in the hope that it will fire quicker/dimmer. This may not be working, but it's also less messy than sticky tape all over your camera.

You may also find yourself restricted by the f8 minimum aperture, but that's another story. I use ND filters, but they make the low-light AF even worse!

AAAAARRRRGH!! :x

(saving for a D100!)
martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

All you need is to get yourself a Nokon As-15, less than $20 at Bhphoto.com.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 5:27 PM   #4

Default 5700

1-set flash open control to manuel
2- raise flash (depress button) and flash fires and hot shoe works
3- set camera to continuous low (hot shoe works but flash does not fire)
4-I use Wein ssr jr to fire studio strobes
Dave Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:24 AM   #5

Default Re: using 5700 with PC lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbishop
You've got to have the internal flash popped up for the hotshoe to fire. Yeah, tell me about it! Obviously you don't want the internal flash overexposing your photo, so I cover it with tin foil, rather than just black tape, in the hope that it will fire quicker/dimmer. This may not be working, but it's also less messy than sticky tape all over your camera.

You may also find yourself restricted by the f8 minimum aperture, but that's another story. I use ND filters, but they make the low-light AF even worse!

AAAAARRRRGH!! :x

(saving for a D100!)
I don't own the Nikon 5700, but in order to get the hotshoe fire the flash, it must be in the pop up position, something really wrong with that, I can not beleive Nikon comes up with that design, totally wrong... :x
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote