Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Default Vivitar 383 Wont Flash

Well I bought the Vivitar-383 Bounce flash for my Sony Alpha about 5 months ago, and I've loved it since then, and haven't had any problems. However all of a sudden it won't fire. When it turns on, I don't hear that "recharging" noise anymore. (Well occasionally I do) I've tried putting new batteries in but that does nothing. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:57 AM   #2
Administrator

Does the test/ready light come on? What happens if you press the test button (does if fire then)?

If so (test button fires it), it's probably an electrical contact issue. Try cleaning your contacts (camera and flash shoe), and make sure one of them isn't stuck down (they're spring loaded, and from time to time, one of them can get stuck down, where you can press it to one side and get it to pop back out again).

If the test button on the flash doesn't fire it, it should still be under warranty. See this page:

http://www.vivitar.com/products#Prof...72/177/Support

If you click on the support link at the very top of the page, you'll see a US 800 number, as well as an e-mail contact for it. Here's the direct link:

http://www.vivitar.com/support
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Does the test/ready light come on? What happens if you press the test button (does if fire then)?

If so (test button fires it), it's probably an electrical contact issue. Try cleaning your contacts (camera and flash shoe), and make sure one of them isn't stuck down (they're spring loaded, and from time to time, one of them can get stuck down, where you can press it to one side and get it to pop back out again).

If the test button on the flash doesn't fire it, it should still be under warranty. See this page:

http://www.vivitar.com/products#Prof...72/177/Support

If you click on the support link at the very top of the page, you'll see a US 800 number, as well as an e-mail contact for it. Here's the direct link:

http://www.vivitar.com/support
When I hit the test button it still doesn't flash. So I guess I'll contact Vivitar about getting it fixed/replaced. Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:59 AM   #4
Administrator

Let us know how it turns out. It seems to be a good flash for the money as far as exposure from reports I've seen, except that it's missing HSS (High Speed Sync), and support for the Minolta/Sony wireless protocol for off camera use.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:28 PM   #5

I'd like to know what the end result was as well. My 383 has just (this week) failed the same way and I'd like to know how Vivitar handled the situation.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:56 PM   #6

Just a continuation of this thread my Vivitar DF383-OLY developed the same symptoms as the OP's just before Christmas (7 mos. usage). I've just shipped it off to Vivitar today. The only thing I can add is that its initial symptom seemed to be a declining TTL exposure accuracy.

A. C.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:43 PM   #7

adamvk never responded to JimC's question so we don't know the outcome there but I'll provide a status report, such as it is. My flash arrived at Vivitar 20 JAN according to UPS tracking and signed for by someone named Castro. Last week I requested status from Vivitar's Tech Support via email and there was no reply. Today I've sent a registered letter to Vivitar requesting status.

A. C.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:49 PM   #8

That is very poor customer service. Hope you get a resolution soon.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:11 AM   #9

Sorry for not responding!! I've been so busy lately it isn't funny.

Anyways...

I sent it in, and they sent me back a brand new Vivitar 383 flash. It has worked flawlessly since I got my new one back. Best of luck to those whose flash isn't working.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Sorry for not responding!! I've been so busy lately it isn't funny.

Anyways...

I sent it in, and they sent me back a brand new Vivitar 383 flash. It has worked flawlessly since I got my new one back. Best of luck to those whose flash isn't working.
VERY good news, indeed. Thanks for the update.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote