Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Need a flash

Hey guys,

A friend of mine just got herself a Rebel XS and needs a flash. She can't afford a Canon 580EX, her budget's about 100 bucks. She'll most likely be shooting family gatherings, birthday parties...what's out there other than Canon? Thanks guys!

Regards,
Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Administrator

How about a used 380EX with that budget, as it appears to work just fine with the XS from what I can find out from posts from Canon XS users with a few quick google searches. keh.com has a couple of them in stock.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-...990343540?r=FE
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3

hi try nissin di622 its very easy use and has tilt and swivel too
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:11 PM   #4

Default mistakes in purchasing

I know that what I'm about to write is not exactly on topic, but I'd like to share with you my own past.

Every time I bought what I could afford, rather than what I should purchase, I ended up being very unhappy for this reason.

Let's say the flash I should buy is the Canon 430 EX ii (retail for about $250). So I buy the 380. But it doesn't do what I need it to do. So about a year from now, I buy the 430 and never touch the 380 again.

So how much did I pay for the 430? Well, I paid for both, $150 for the 380 and $250 for the 430. So I've invested $400 for only flash I use. For $400 I could have the Speedlite 580ii !!!

I truly understand money can be very, very tight. I get that. I'm just saying that when you buy less than what you need, you'll end up spending more in the long run and that really, really stinks.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:58 AM   #5

Thanks guys! Yeah, I tied to tell her to save and buy a good flash/gear but she doesn't get it. She's very new to photography, this is her first "real" camera. I'll keep trying
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6

if new, the best option is the nissin di466. It is a good flash, with all the tilt and swivel and it is USB upgradeable.

If it is to expensive still, have here check out the used department at BH or adorama. They have good used canon flashes, like the canon 430 exI and exII. As these flashes will give her a much stronger flash range.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Thanks Shoturtle! Just found a Vivitar DF383 for 120 at Adorama. Do you know anything bout this flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
if new, the best option is the nissin di466. It is a good flash, with all the tilt and swivel and it is USB upgradeable.

If it is to expensive still, have here check out the used department at BH or adorama. They have good used canon flashes, like the canon 430 exI and exII. As these flashes will give her a much stronger flash range.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8

It is junky to be honest, I would go with a used nissin, canon or metz. vivtar is a rebadged flash, same as the bower and digital concept and couple of other names.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM. Reason: nothing proof reading. duh
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:28 AM   #9

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It is junky to be honest, I would go with a used nissin, canon or metz. vivtar is a rebadged flash, same as the bower and digital concept and coupler name.