Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Changing Lighting Intensity

I am researching studio lighting equipment, specifically continuous lighting. My goal is to not break the bank so I've been looking at reasonably priced kits. I like Britek but I'm not really finding any lights where I can dial the intensity up or down. My question is, and please forgive me if this is a dumb question because I'm just learning about studio lighting, if I need to change the intensity (f-stop) of the light do I just move the light forward or backward? It just seems like a lot of work to move the lights and meter every time.

Any advice would be appreciated or any advice about Britek.

Thanks!
Megan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:27 AM   #2
NHL

Move closer to increase the f-stop
To decrease the light intensity move the light further out
(notice the contrast also changes...)

-> This follows the simple inverse square rule so you may not have to meter every time

Last edited by NHL; Dec 1, 2010 at 1:49 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:54 AM   #3

whats your budget I know with strobes you can dial the intensity.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:02 AM   #4
NHL

FYI - the inverse square law still applies regardless of your strobe having an adjustment dial or not:
http://www.viewfindercenter.com/news...otography.html
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5

Thank you very much for your response. That is what I thought but I didn't want to assume that. My budget is around $1000 and I've been looking to buy used equipment but we may buy new since what I have been looking at his been pretty reasonable.

I will be setting up a small aquarium, placing fish in the aquarium, and photographing them. We had a well known Chinese photographer take some pictures for us and he used continuous lighting, 2 umbrellas, and a fill light, so the owner of my company wants me to replicate that. I have been looking at fluorescent lights as they are cooler and don't use as much electricity. I have been looking at Britek and a company called Steve Kaeser and both seem to be pretty reasonable.

Thanks again for your help.
Megan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:48 PM   #6
NHL

Bear in mind when looking at fluorescent is their limited output will fix their longest distance, so your best bet is by moving the lights closer...

A strobe is much more powerful even though it only comes on for a short duration, their modeling may help a bit in controlling the shadows if you're worried; however you'll have more distance (and contrast) to work with!
-> This might explain why you can dial down with strobes, whereas with fluorescents they are always set at maximum intensity

Last edited by NHL; Dec 1, 2010 at 2:05 PM.