Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Default soft box or umbrella??????????

which would be better to soften the light for portraits and things like that i recentally picked up a sb600 and wireless recviers so what would be the next best buy
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:08 PM   #2
csd

There are likely many opinions on this.
Mine is : to get the best bang for the buck - For the SB600 I'd go with a shoot through umbrella.
Most softboxes that fit over flashes tend to be too small to really do a decent job (there are quite a few out there - but watch the size - they cover a limited area). And if you get a really large one - the SB600 won't do it justice.
If you get a shoot through umbrella - you will get a nice softbox effect for a good price. You can get a good shoot through umbrella for like $20, and then buy a stand and an adapter for the umbrella and you are in business (once you have your wireless issue resolved of course).
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3

i was looking at a 24" softbox and stand but umbrellas seems like the cheaper setup do both these setups do like the same effect to the light and i got a wireless reciver and flash trigger already
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:02 AM   #4
csd

Both are soft lighting. The 24" softbox will be a little more directed and likely better for portrait shots of faces and smaller items. The umbrella will provide a bit more dispersion of light for a full body shot or larger items.
One comparison video of a small softbox on a flash, with a shoot-through umbrella (and some other modifiers from interfit) is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibCYozFz4fs
Note if you watch the above the photographer seems to draw conclusions from his one setup - a lot depends on how close/far the flash is - so results of the examples shown will vary depending upon distance/subject/ambient-light-in-room/etc.

The other thing you might consider is buying is a small diffusion dome for the SB-600 for when you are just walking around with the flash on your camera and want to soften the light a bit. The Sto-Fen Omni-bounce is one such example that you can get for about $10 (Be sure to get the one made for the SB-600.). This small investiment will go along way for times when you don't want to set up a stand.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice im prob gonna go with the shoot through cause I like doing portraits but I also like shooting sections of cars which the umbrella should diffuse the light big enough to do that
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:25 PM   #6

I ended up getting a couple of these http://www.adorama.com/WE43CUFK.html that I use with my SB600s and triggers. What I liked were 1) reversible, 2) height, and 3) 43" umbrella. While some may be cheaper, they either had smaller 32" umbrella, or 6' stands.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote