Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:01 PM   #1

Default Gameroom "Portrait Studio" advice needed

Hello all,

I have been lurking in the forums here for a while and have learned so much from the members advice and links. However, as a hobbyist, I am still confused over what I should purchase to set up an "in home" studio.

Let me first start off by saying I would like to keep my expenses at or around $1,500, if possible.

The room I have dedicated to be my "portrait studio" is an upstairs gameroom, located directly above our two-car garage. The room is approx 18' x 21' with a small window in the approx center of the east (21') wall, and another window in the middle of the north (18') wall. The south wall has a gabled (slanted) ceiling which is angled about 4' off the floor. I *think* the ceiling is 10'.

My primary equipment is a Canon 5D Mark II, with a 580EXII flash. I also still use my Canon 40d with the same flash. My primary portrait lens is 50mm, and my primary walk-around lens is 24-105mm.

I currently own NOTHING in the way of studio equipment.

I am fairly crafty and believe I can paint my own backdrops with quilter's muslin, but I do not have a frame to put them on.

My goal is to set up a home studio in which I can take portraits of my kids and friends' families. I would prefer to have a setup that is portable that I can take with me when I visit out-of-state family, or to take outdoor photo shoots, but if too much quality is lost due to portability, I would rather have a better-quality fixed studio upstairs.

I know I will probably need 1000-1200 w Full Spectrum lighting, but beyond that, I am lost as to what are the essentials I really need for my set up -- umbrellas/softbox/reflectors, etc in addition to the backdrop stand.

I would prefer a full "kit" so I can point hubby to a link and say "this is what I want," but if individual components are better than the kits, I'd like to know that, too. Being a hobbyist, I won't have the chance to upgrade for quite a while, so I would like the best bang for my $1,500 I can get right now.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help!
CumberlandQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:09 PM   #2

If it helps at all, I was looking at these two kits:

http://www.adorama.com/AZV600EX3LCS.html

and

http://www.adorama.com/NMDP320KIT5.html

Can anyone comment on the quality of these two kits vs. what I need for my gameroom setup? I realize I would still need to buy a background frame with either of these. Any other comments on what else I would need? Or better suggestions? TIA!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:19 PM   #3

Any suggestions as to brands to buy or avoid in my price range?

I am thinking I definitely want a softbox setup.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:29 PM   #4

ETA: I think this kit is exactly what I've been looking for, but just a *tad* over my price range: http://www.adorama.com/WE3LWKP.html

Can anyone comment on this kit +/-, before I go ahead and purchase it? TIA!