Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:02 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Cactus V5 triggers - totally impressed

I've just received my 6 (3 double packs) of Cactus v5 triggers, everything so far looks simply amazing. They are larger than I imagined which is actually good so they are very sturdy.

I think the best part about them is that you have 16 channels but if you fire in channel 1 then it will fire all units set from channels 1-5, this means I choose to fire all lights or just individual sets without turning any off.

For example, the main light and fill light could be on 2 and the background lights on 3, firing on channel 1 will trigger everything, then I can go to channel 2 an only get the main light and fill but no background..... very cool.

I haven't used them in anger, but the range of 100m (some say it's 3 times that) should just about cover all I need LOL.

Hope to find a chance to play soon and will post the results.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

very cool Mark, glad initial impressions are good. sounds like a nice setup!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Yep, seems that way, and a great price too!

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I haven't used them in anger, but the range of 100m (some say it's 3 times that) should just about cover all I need LOL.
LOL! Did this upgrade include TTL communication?
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:09 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Nope, but I wouldn't use them with ETTL as you can't really control a group of lights like that. What I would like is the feature that you get with some of the PWs that allows you to adjust the power from the controller rather than going to the flash.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:11 PM   #6

6... that's quite a few. Just thinking what the cost would be with pocket wizzards.

Did you have triggers previously? I had the Cactus V4 (with one shorting being the main reason I upgraded.) I can still use them as the V4 (or any other) transmitter mounts to the hotshoe on the V5 transmitter and both sustems work in parrallel.

Couple of things to be aware of that I have either personally experienced and/or read on other forums. With my SB600's have to back out the hotshoe just a hair for them to fire, but once adjusted, fire every time. Also, if the receiver lights up but the flash doesn fire, the batteries are weak. Finally, if you hear a rattling soud, at least one of the screws securing the hotshoe has become loose. These are very fine thread screws similar to those found on eye glasses.

I will say that their customer service is exemplary. Replies to emails were within hours, and they are sending a replacement hotshoe that had stripped threads - no hassle! It is a very easy rip-out-and-replace change and far easier (and cheaper) than returning one unit.

Last edited by tizeye; Apr 8, 2011 at 5:37 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote