Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:23 AM   #1

Default Lightbulb help??

I would like to buy a lightbulb from lowes to add some light for shooting in my living room. I'm going to be photographing my friends baby tomorrow and the weather is going to be thick overcast NO SUN I've only ever used natural light....

I recently picked up a sb700 however don't have much experience using it. I don't know or have the capabailty of using it off camera. I'll be using a 35mm l.8 lens and feel like I'll be to close to use the flash. :/

So, any suggestions on a bulb? I really don't know about custom whitebalance...

Thanks,
Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:48 AM   #2

Hi i would put the flash on the camera shoot raw auto white balance point the flash at the ceiling iso 400 f 6.3 av mode and try that
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:25 AM   #3

Thanks, Let me get a test set up going and I'll try it today in a little bit. av? Is that aperture mode?

If I stop to f/1.8 to focus in on a certain area...eyes, feet, hand? Where would a desirable shutter speed be? Or, is a f/1.8 not a good idea w/ a flash?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:39 AM   #4

f1.8 is very thin dof but aperture mode it will sort its own shutter speed. I assume that you are using a nikon, i know that with canon it uses falsh a fill in not sure about nikon
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:56 AM   #5

Well I just fired off a couple shots w/ my flash. I put it in A mode w/ the iso 400 and tried 6.3 w/ 60ss and a 1.8 125ss. It's a different look than I'm used to. I guess I just get a little fear factor when it comes to flash... it's totally new to me.

I'll have to start learning about umbrellas and softboxs that I can use w/ my flash. For now I'll just go for it.

Still, any suggestions for lightbulbs just incase.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:00 AM   #6

AV is Canon speak for what the rest of us call Aperture Priority.
If your shooting a baby, depending on the age you may be shooting down and bouncing the flash off the ceiling may not work so well as the baby will be in your shadow.
Try bouncing the light off a white wall. If that wont work use the flash direct with a white paper towel over the flash head, held on with a rubber band.
If you prefer continuous light use a florescent bulb don't subject the poor kid to a hot light. A hardware store clamp light will do fine. If you need to soften the light shine it through a white T-shirt.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote