Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Built-in flash problem (Pentax K-r)

I purchased a Pentax K-r a few weeks ago but never tried to use the built-in flash until a couple of days ago and I couldn't get it to fire even though I tried everything. Does that mean that an external flash unit probably will not work either? Is there any way of knowing without having to order an external flash only to have to ship it back if it doesn't work?

Is flash repair a minor thing that I could have an area camera guy see if he can fix or is that not a good idea because it might void the warranty?

Another quick question. I have a small round spot showing up on all my photo's. The camera's dust removal feature does not remove it nor does it show up on the Dust Alert image. Is this a sensor stain?

Thanks for your help and/or suggestions.
zahnfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:04 PM   #2

Repairing a built-in flash is not usually a 'minor' repair, and since the camera is so new, you should either get it repaired under warranty, or get an exchange from the seller, if possible.
An external flash can still work if the pop-up unit doesn't, if the problem is just with the flash circuitry. The spot on your photos is something to be concerned about. Are you able to see it in the viewfinder or the LCD in live view ?
Two problems on a brand new camera would make me ask for a replacement, rather than just having it repaired.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:50 PM   #3

Default built in flash problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Repairing a built-in flash is not usually a 'minor' repair, and since the camera is so new, you should either get it repaired under warranty, or get an exchange from the seller, if possible.
An external flash can still work if the pop-up unit doesn't, if the problem is just with the flash circuitry. The spot on your photos is something to be concerned about. Are you able to see it in the viewfinder or the LCD in live view ?
Two problems on a brand new camera would make me ask for a replacement, rather than just having it repaired.

brian
Thanks, Brian.

I contacted the store and they will send the camera in for repair - or I can do that myself. No exchange was offered.

The spot is visible on all my photo's if that area is light but looking through the viewfinder I can see two. It looks like they are on another layer of glass inside the viewfinder or something. I now have one of those sheets of film over the LCD that has some bubbles but I can't say I see either spot in Live View. Does that sound like dust somewhere in the camera or a stain?

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably send the camera in to have the flash repaired and ask them to check out the spots while they are at it.
zahnfee is offline   Reply With Quote