Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 15, 2002, 8:46 PM   #1
BT

Default Beginners Studio Flash

I'm looking to begin playing with Studio/Umbrella flash and want to practice with inexpensive equipment b4 investing. Any suggestions on inexpensive but useful equipment...basics to include 2 stands, lights, and umbrellas?
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:29 PM   #2

What's your definition of inexpensive? You'd be well advised not to be penny wise and pound foolish. Buying cheap equipment up front that eventually has to be replaced is not an economy.

That said I'd suggest Alien Bees equipment. They make a digibee kit with two 160ws lights, stands and umbrellas for about $600. There is also a single light kit for $360. You can also go a la carte but not sure if you'll save money. I'm partial to Bogen light stands with the 8' 3086 model being a favorite and like Photoflex convertable umbrellas.

BTW, what camera are you using?

[Edited on 8-16-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:01 PM   #3

Default Also interested

These beginner light kits....can they be used for still life and portrait photography?
Just like BT, I am also interested in playing with studio lighting for both these applications.
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:53 AM   #4

Within limits the digibee kit makes a fine setup for still life and portraits. It's got adequate power but ultimately you may want to add some more powerful lights to your arsenal. Two umbrellas is a good start but you may want to add to that with softboxes or such. I find a 60" photoflex convertable umbrella works nicely. The wide power range makes it easy to get low enoug power when the light is extremely close to a tabletop subject.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 4:38 PM   #5

go to BHphoto.com, under the lighting and studio flash page, you will find many options to obtain a basic lighting kits with very reasonable costs, check out the meter section also, you may need to accquire a good flash meter from Sekonic, such as the Sekonic L-358. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:45 PM   #6
BT

Default All Replies

All,
Thanks for your replies. I find this helpful. Around 500 beans is what I was thinking of spending so the 600 mark is not out of line for me. I'm using a Canon PS G2 and am very pleased with it.

Thanks again to all.
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:22 AM   #7

I think you'll be quite pleased. I have an additional more powerful monolight and will add more but I often do portraits with just the two B400s. As you progress you can add more lights and accessories. Would be pretty tough to ougrow. If you need more power than the 640ws B1600 you can get a White Lightning unit with twice the power that takes the same accessories.