Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Default Nikon flash

Hi,
I use the Nikon SB 400 flash and I always have to pump up my indoor poor lighting flash shots in levels.
I've tried dialing in up to 1 stop + flash exposure but I still have to use levels.
Is this purely because the SB 400 isn't up to the job or would the SB 700 solve this problem?

Thanks for any ideas.
Sb400 flash
Eveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:26 PM   #2

Hello,

Do you have any picture to post showing what you are getting?

If it is a distance thing . . . if you turn up the iso . . . the effective range of your flash unit seems to increase . . .

If its the background that is dark . . . maybe bouncing the flash can help or dragging the shutter to balance the exposure. (ie. night portrait mode.)

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:40 AM   #3

Hello,

Sorry for the quick post . . . I was heading out the door . . .

What size room are you shooting in?

And is there objects (people . . . walls . . . etc that are in the foreground that are really well lit up that is causing the camera to expose for them . . . and thus not the background? So the background goes dark?) . . . If so . . . try to compose the shot so that there isn't so much in the foreground to trick the camera . . . and if it is the background that is dark that is the problem . . . maybe try night portrait mode . . . it will drag the shutter to make the dark background a bit lighter . . . or try bouncing the flash off the ceiling . . . so some light from the flash gets bounced into the background and some light gets bounced onto your subject (people) . . .

Also . . . what is your iso setting and aperture setting when taking the pictures?

One of the nice things I like about the Nikon cameras is that I can set it to auto iso . . . .(iso 200 up to iso 3200) and . . . pop-up the flash . . . and hand it to anyone to take pictures . . . and it can usually sort things out and get a good exposure that is well balanced (foreground vs. background).

If I have the camera set manually to iso 200 . . . the flash will find it tougher to contribute to the picture . . . because the sensor is set to pick up less light . . . iso 3200 will pick up more light. So if you find the flash "too weak" . . . an option is to crank up the iso to make it more sensitive . . .

Also . . . the aperture on my lenses (Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 & Nikon 80-200mm f2.8) go to f2.8 through out their range. Your superzoom's aperture range is f3.5? to f5.6 so it is letting in somewhere slightly less that a stop of light up to 2 stops less light than an f2.8 lens. So this will either make the flash unit work harder . . . or it will make the flash unit reach its max and then there won't be enough light to get a good exposure.

If you want to stick to the SB400 . . . these are things to play with to squeeze out the picture you want with it . . . (These are even good things to know when using the built-in flash unit to squeeze out the maximum if you are in a situation and want to get the shot with the equipment you've got.)

Having said that . . . the SB700 beats the SB400 in a number of ways (except being small.)

It has more power . . . so it can let you use lower iso settings (so cleaner pictures) and / or that more power can be used to get enough light to bounce off your subject and get through smaller apertures. And . . . its much more easy to get into bouncing the light from the flash off of things (like ceilings) to get more balanced pictures and softer more flattering light on your subject.

Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:06 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply .I did something a bit naughty here , as I didn't think I was going to get any replies I posted again on the other flash exteral forum.
I did have auto iso on and it went up to 3200 because the light was very poor.If you go over to the flash external forum you will see what I've been up to.
I appreciate what you have told me
many thanks.
Sb400 flash
Eveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:47 PM   #5

No problem . . . I didn't see any replies here so I thought I'd take a stab at it . . . glad you got responses on the other thread!