Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 14, 2004, 2:55 AM   #1

I am looking for a decent lighting system that is very portable, easy and quick to set up, and does not take up an entire room! I need it to use at wedding receptions (for portraits of guests), and to carry to people's houses, or if weather is bad at weddings.

Is there a system that I can use without having to set up brollies, reflectors, etc? Also what are the most portable flash units?

Thanks and I look forward to your replies...

Pat
pstubbs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2004, 9:13 PM   #2

Do you mean a portable system using batteries or just something that's easy to carry?
Old May 15, 2004, 6:39 AM   #3
NHL

FYI

http://www.qtm.com/home/new_prods.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 9:08 PM   #4

Yup Quantum is good and so areLumedyne ,a good old standby for location shooting.

Depends on what results you want, straight strobes make for a very hard light, usually not very falttering for weddings and portraits..

Quote:
Is there a system that I can use without having to set up brollies, reflectors, etc?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 3:37 PM   #5

When I do weddings I use monolights on light stands for the big groups but for the rest I use a Quantum QFlash, mounted on a bracket with my camera. It runs off a battery pack I wear on my belt. It has all kinds of power, works TTL with the camera, and has enough light modifiers (diffusers, softbox, etc) to get good pictures with all kinds of effects.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:06 PM   #6

LTBerry wrote:
Quote:
When I do weddings I use monolights on light stands for the big groups but for the rest I use a Quantum QFlash, mounted on a bracket with my camera. It runs off a battery pack I wear on my belt. It has all kinds of power, works TTL with the camera, and has enough light modifiers (diffusers, softbox, etc) to get good pictures with all kinds of effects.

Hi LTBerry

I read a lot of your suggestions, and very intrigued. You mentioned about battery pack belt for your Quantum QFlash, that you have. I wonder what is the brand name ofyour battery pack? :?

I have a 10D Canon, and afraid thatthe wrong battery pack will screw up my camera.

Please help.

nghia
nghia huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:20 PM   #7

nghia huynh wrote:
Quote:
You mentioned about battery pack belt for your Quantum QFlash, that you have.¬* I wonder what is the brand name of¬*your battery pack?¬* :?

I have a 10D Canon, and afraid that¬*the wrong battery pack will screw up my camera.
The problem is what trigger voltage your flash unit is in the first place, and what the batteries are won't effect that. If you have any concerns you should have a Wein SafeSync on the camera to protect it.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:32 AM   #8

Thank you for your suggestion.

nghia
nghia huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:05 PM   #9

Can you explain to me what the benefit of a monolight is over
using just a regular flash. Also if possible could you tell me why the bracket. I think I know the answer, but I am just trying to confirm. I once went to a wedding and the photograper was using a set up sort of like what you mentioned. Why would it not be wise to simply mount my regular high powered quantum flash directly on the hot shoe of my camera and just go at it. Also what type of film do you recommend for indoor shooting at weddings?
Thanks in advance.
cmarinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:10 AM   #10

cmarinc wrote:
Quote:
Can you explain to me what the benefit of a monolight is over using just a regular flash. Also if possible could you tell me why the bracket. I think I know the answer, but I am just trying to confirm. I once went to a wedding and the photograper was using a set up sort of like what you mentioned. Why would it not be wise to simply mount my regular high powered quantum flash directly on the hot shoe of my camera and just go at it. Also what type of film do you recommend for indoor shooting at weddings?
Thanks in advance.
I believe that LTBerry is deployed overseas now, so I'll try to jump in here...

Monolights are ususally much more powerful (& adjustable) that shoe mounted flash units. Plus you have the ability of the monolights to accept larger/varied light modifiers that many flash units can't use (or have enough power to use effectively). This is one reason for the bracket vs the hotshoe attachment too (although, having the light source farther from the lens is a good reason too).

Since this is a digital camera site, the question about film is kind of unususal but we all started there . Fuji NPH, ISO-400 is a good choice for indoors.