Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:30 PM   #11

I hope I purchased the single channel battery version. I just realized and order the second receiver for the other light. I did a photo shoot of an art show "Mysteries in Stone", using my 420EX to trigger the AB800 that was may 20 ft away closer to the art. However, everybody else with camera's where triggering my strobe also. I missed a few shots because my strobe had just fired right before I took pictue.

So I want to go radio on both strobes, will this turn off the strobe from being triggered by other flashes in the room? Joe charges an extra $40 for just a second receiver, but I guess thats cheap compared to pocket wizzards.

What is the purpose of multi-channel system? I will propably never use more than 2 - 3 lights, but it would be nice to be able to fire them independanty as well as in a group.

PS

Castledude, you are the only person I have seen that knows about these units. Is there any way to get more information on these units and does anyone else sell them besides Joe?
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:35 PM   #12

The multi channel is mainly so if another smart person has one I can switch to an alternate frequency without being set off.

I occasionally use a studio for shoots and will share the cost with other photographers by having multiple frequencysmultiple studio sets can be used at the sametime.
------------------------------------------------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Photo1818 hasa single channel version also, I don't know if it is compatable with the one from Joe's.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Porters seems to sell the same units as Joe's (but at a higher price)
www.porters.com

http://buyporters.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=F3L

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:28 PM   #13
km

I have 4 of the ones from Joes on Ebay and use them all the time for weddings and studio work. saves tripping over cords and breaking things. I don't use the IR ones because any flash in the area will set off my units. with the radio units we can have 2 sets in a studio and both shoot without bothering each other. radio triggers are much more reliable than IR.
km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:53 PM   #14

Thank you both, I have my radio triggers on order now. I only wish I had purchased multi-channel, but I have at this point not had to share a studio. Espeacially not with someone using the exact same equipment. However, I do wish I could have each strobe on a seperate channel so that I could trigger them independently for measuring with light meter.

In any case I am happy with my decision to go with radio triggers and real studio strobes (AB800) over buying different on camera flashes like 550EX or Sigma.

I am looking forward to experimenting with different diffusers, softboxes, gels, colored filters, etc. I saw one example where a photographer had the model looking out of a window. The Studio strobe was outside the window facing in using the glass as a diffuser. This shot required radio strobe because there was no direct line of sight from camera angle to strobe. Plus there was a wall in betwwen camera and strobe. The picture had the appearance of morning sun comming through the window.

Can't wait to get new equipment. :-)
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:48 PM   #15

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
Thank you both, I have my radio triggers on order now. I only wish I had purchased multi-channel, but I have at this point not had to share a studio. Espeacially not with someone using the exact same equipment. However, I do wish I could have each strobe on a seperate channel so that I could trigger them independently for measuring with light meter.
When somebody sees your radio trigger they will ask where you got it and then you will have competition (that's what happened to me):-).

Putting each light on a different frequency won't really work for individual control. When you are ready to shoot you still need themon a common frequency and pulling down some boom lights to do that kind of defeats the purpose. The real purpose is for sharingin an area with another transmitter.

I think the Alien Bee wireless systemdoes allowindividual and group controlsbut it is pretty pricy. A little practice with your light meter and you will get pretty reliable numbers off each light individually without needing to turn them on/off individually.

BTW the trick with the light in the window is to hook the radio strobe to the light outside and then use it to trip the IR sensors on all your other flashes.

Good luck and have lots of fun with it.

Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:58 PM   #16

Quote:
BTW the trick with the light in the window is to hook the radio strobe to the light outside and then use it to trip the IR sensors on all your other flashes.

Hey, so you know about the light in the windows trick. I thought I was on to something new :idea:.

I saw your post on Photo.net or some other forum where you where helping a guy with this same issue. Good advice. Do you have recievers on all of your lights or just one? I like the idea of having it on just one and slaving the second strobe off the one with the receiver. However, I am concerened not about other wireless transmitters but other flashes in general. If I only use one receiver how do I make the other strobe only trigger off my mainstrobe and not any other flashing lights? i.e. other cameras with built in flash.

I think I resolved this by purchasing two recievers. Hopefully they will be programmed to both work off the same transmitter. Did I waste $40 bucks?

PS

Anyone know of any cheap battery packs that can power 2 - AB800 for less than Vagabon system?

Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:33 AM   #17

For me if I am working alone I use the radio off the camera to fire the most visible light and the IR from strobe to strobe.

If it is more than me then I tend to hard wire groups of lights together.

At the studio I tend to run three light shoots mainly (Main+Fill+Hair) so hooking hard cables is not that bad. The transmitter is mostly for the freedom and lack of cables to the camera. With the second AC unit I now just direct wire the fill to the hair and run it off one receiver and the main off another receiver so I don't have wires to trip over.

---------------------------

The tworeceivers you got should work just fine together.

---------------------------
Probably wasn't me on Photo.net but I do post here, Pbase and Garageglamour.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:12 AM   #18
NHL

FYI

http://www.shutterbug.net/test_reports/1004sb_calumet/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:45 PM   #19

That Calumet system sure looks nice. However, I'm not sure I would completely agree with the reviewer that it's a useful alternative to the Pocket Wizards at a better price/value for most of us. In the review, it talks about a full 4 unit set which would cost $600. That's great if you need that many 4 channel transceivers for a pretty complex setup and cheaper than 4 PW Multimax units. However, for what most of us here need and usually ask about, these units are less of a value. They are only about $49 less than a Pocket Wizard Plus kit which (thougha transmitter and receiver, not transceivers) is also 4 channel and has 3 times the range I believe.

I guess it comes down to how much wireless flexibility one needs. If you need 4 tranceivers to accomplish the various situations described in the review, then these are certainly cheaper than PW Multimaxes. On the other hand, if you only need a 2 unit/4 channel set to fire your strobes reliablyata higher rangethenthe PW Plus Kit is very competitive, though they are not transceivers like the Calumet units - plus the jury is still out on those Joe/Ebay units at yet cheaper prices. Had I known about these before I bought my PW Plus Kit, I would certainly have considered these Calumets and maybe even gone with them.But I think the situation the review describes is overkill for all but the most advanced setups here, though very intriguing nonetheless.Good find.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 5:40 PM   #20

Those Calumet units seem pretty cool, however they are out of my budget. If I where going to spend $200-300 plus, I would purchase the Alien Bess wierless system. The AB systemis a radio system that allows you toremotely adjust the power of each strobe.

I just got my wireless system from Joes Auction today. They already have one plus in my book. I ordered these units from Ebay on Tuesday, they shipped on Wednesday and I got them today at lunch.

They are pretty light weight and don't feel very durable, but hey a transmitter and two receivers only cost me $89.00. :-)

I only wish I had spent more time on this forum before buying, I would have purchased the four channel model. But, anything is better than using that darn PC /hotshoe adapter. When ever I would pull on the sync cord just a little the pc adapter would slide off the contacts in the hotshoe and the strobe would not fire.

Now my only challege is how do I get my Sekonic L358 to work with this system. I am thinking of getting the wireless module.