Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 1, 2004, 6:54 PM   #21

Quote:
...get my Sekonic L358 to work with this system. I am thinking of getting the wireless module
The wireless module for the L-358 is meant to be used with the Pocket Wizard units only, as far as I know. I'd check that, to be sure, before spending the $$$. I have the module and it really is worth it's weight in gold, but I use it with the PW's. Don't know about your units. Just a caution.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:59 PM   #22

Quote:
The wireless module for the L-358 is meant to be used with the Pocket Wizard units only, as far as I know.
I found a solution that doesn't require spending anything.

It's called "learn to use your equipment" :idea:. I always use my Sekonic in corded mode. I simply had to switch to non-corded mode and use the test button on the Joesauctiontransmitterto remotely fire strobe. Takes two hands one tohold meter one to press test button, but hey...Ijust have to meter before putting camera on tripod.

I havn'treceived second AB unit yet so I havn't done full set of testing with new wireless units yet. However, working with just the one unit has been really nice. Whether the Joesauction $49 units are cheap or not does not equate to the flexability and joy of being wireless. I set up the strobe, metered, walked out on my balcony with my tele lens the complete length of my apartment andgot perfectly exposed shots.

I did have some miss fires where the flash did not fire. I am blaming that on worn out rechargables until I do further testing with known good batteries.

For now my review is "you can't beat it for the money" Good tip CastleDude Thanks

I wouldhowever, recomend getting the 4 channel units that use AC power.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:15 AM   #23

Glad you are having the same success as I have.

Here is a simple way that I use to do the wireless light meter.

Get a PC to Hotshoe adapter. Get the type that has a threaded hole on the bottom of it.

Pick up a threadedconnector (headless bolt) that is the right size about a 1/4" long.

Rig it up to the tripod mount hole on the light meter (almost all of them have one). Now just plug in the transmitter anytime you want to meter.

Obviously this will work with any transmitter (IR, etc) Just use it like you are using the corded mode.
Quote:
I would however, recomend getting the 4 channel units that use AC power.
Actually I would recommend the 3 channel battery units.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:26 AM   #24

Quote:
The wireless module for the L-358 is meant to be used with the Pocket Wizard units only, as far as I know.
Quote:
I found a solution that doesn't require spending anything. It's called "learn to use your equipment" :idea:. I always use my Sekonic in corded mode. I simply had to switch to non-corded mode and use the test button on the Joesauctiontransmitterto remotely fire strobe. Takes two hands one tohold meter one to press test button, but hey...Ijust have to meter before putting camera on tripod
My quoted statement was merely to suggest to the questioner that the Sekonic module they were thinking of buying wouldn't work as they seemed to think. The response to my quote was about a totally different setup which, while sounding very cumbersome and potentially impractical, is clever, cheaper and may be useful to some. Depends on your needs and willingness to experiment/tinker I guess.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:55 PM   #25

Hey Flint350, don't get me wrong. I wasn't saying "you" need to lean to use equipment, I was talking about "Me" needing to learn equipment.

I have on several occasions purchased additional equipement to accomplish a task when my existing equipemt could already do what I need. Then I end up with cheap lens or parts I never use.

For instance, I was going to purchase a Sigma 500 DG Super to replace my Canon 420EX because I could not figure out how to get Canon 420EX to work with AB800 Strobe. There is an anoying pre-flash that makes the strobe fire at the wrong time and eveyone says there is no way to turn it off.

Well, there is a way to turn it off. Simply press and hold the FEL button before shooting. This obviously makes the preflash fire before the shot and not during. Simple, cheap soluton. But, for me as an amateur I didn't know what FEL was or how to use it.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:50 PM   #26

From what I've read around the photo boards, most do what you almost did and buy the Sigma due to that 420 preflash issue. It's the kind of thing that needs to get around more bcz it is not very well known from what I've seen. I paid little attention to it bcz I use a 550EX and can just use manual to avoid the pre-flash.

Still, it would be nice to be able to better integrate even my 550EX into my AB's setup with the Pocket Wizard to give me a truly useful 4th light (say for the background). As it is, by using the PW Plus Kit, I can't easily add the 550EX. Always a new problem looking for a clever solution.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:33 PM   #27
NHL

My Ultra-Spot flashmeter has a hotshoe built-in similar to CastleDude suggestion and in the "old day" prior to all this IR/RF wireless stuff I could mount any tiny low power flash and used it to trigger the main strobes wirelessly from the meter :G

A nice feature about the Sigma flash units over the Canon are that they have built-in photosensor and they can be sync up to any studio strobes!

Also the 4 channel Calumet comes in many flavor: www.bowens.co.uk-pulsar.
This link indicates that it has 6 independent frequencies unlike the shutterbug article description...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:51 AM   #28

Did a photoshoot last night using the new wireless triggers from joes. Put in some regular duracell batteries instead of rechargables and did not have a single miss fire. :-)

Being completely wireless and loosing the weight of on camera flash is great. I am very happy with the products and thelow price. They're like the Canon 50 1.8L, so good and cheap you have to have it. I am not comparing these to Pocket Wizzards or the Calumet systems because both of those units can remote control the camera as well as strobes. They are also made more durable, you definately can't drop the joe's triggers. But , for a home studio they work fine.

Has anyone gone wireless power on AB strobes? Any alternatives to Vagabon?
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:38 AM   #29

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
...I am not comparing these to Pocket Wizzards or the Calumet systems because both of those units can remote control the camera as well as strobes...
While that's true, remember that the Pocket Wizards would still require additional motor drive sync cables and extra receiver units to control both camera and lights - so your purchase still looks like pretty good value for money, all things considered. The fragility and durability would have been my only concern.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:47 PM   #30

Hmm...I finally went to JoesAuction site to ck these units out. They do seem pretty cool for the money. Two things concern me though - To his credit, he states he and the manufacturer are aware of Canon's 6V limitation and potential damage from the unit's 12V trigger voltage. However, he adds that 'the manufacturer' has determined the units have low current draw which, through tests, make them 'safe' for the Canon cameras with the 6V limits. For a unit at this price, I'm not totally sure I'd feel safe, but maybe.

Then a little further on, he states, "If you want to use a hot shoe flash besides studio strobes, you will need an adapter". Now that does bother me some. After admitting the problem with the 12V vs. 6V issue (maybe somewhat solved), this would certainly compound the voltage problem. Even high-end Pocket Wizard strictly warns users to NEVER do this. So, while I'm intrigued by these low cost units, I have concerns that would proably prevent me from using them myself. These two things seem to conflit/contradict each other, which could well be a good marketing tool, with a hidden potential for serious problems. (I assume you are using yours just for remote strobes and are reasonably safe - I hope).