Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 16, 2004, 9:30 AM   #1

I am looking into getting an IR or RF system to fire my AB400 strobes, tired of PC cords. I will be shooting off a D70 most of the time. Any recommendations?

The AB website did not seem to offer much in this area. Thanks
randy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 8:57 PM   #2

I use this one: http://www.adorama.com/PAIIRT.htmlfrom Interfit...works great!
Old May 20, 2004, 11:24 PM   #3

Ordered same day, will be here tomorrow and in use by Sunday. Thanks
randy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 9:25 AM   #4

I use this IR trigger too. Works great for the price. Slight delay in recycle time, but never missed a shot. It's a "mini strobe" with IR filter.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:39 PM   #5

Just happened to notice this old thread. I would warn anyone using a digital SLR (Canon 10D for sure) that the Paterson IR trigger recommended here, greatly exceeds the trigger voltage limit set by Canon (and other digital SLR's as well). Canon limits it to 6V and the Paterson unit tests around 12V on my voltmeter. You could possibly damage the contacts or other parts in the camera and/or void your warranty. Yes, it will work for a while, but the damage is cumulative, not immediate. Just some food for thought.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:04 PM   #6

wHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE fm WIRELESS TRIGGER AT jOESPHOTOAUCTION2000 FOR $49.00.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It specifically addresses the 12v trigger but has los current? Between the two, the Interfit IR and the Joeauction radio trigger which do you think is better?

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:21 PM   #7

If that question was for me, I don't know anything about JOE''s unit since I stopped researching it once I went to the Pocket Wizards (many more $$$ however). In general though, you could reasonably expect Radio Triggers to work better/more range than IR - but at these prices, who knows? As for the Paterson IR unit, as I said on another thread, I have one but it measured 12V trigger voltage and I chose not to chance it with my Canon 10D which Canon says is limited to 6V. There are varying opinions on the validity of this limitation, but I choose toabide bythe manufacturer's limitation and not a generic policy formulated elsewhere. That's just my choice. Others may do as they wish.

In any event, I have the Paterson unit,nearly new (used it twice on my AB800's) before realizing the voltage issue. I still have it simply bcz I won't just throw away a $40 piece of equipment that maybe I can find some other use for orsell later. Offers???? hehe
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:11 AM   #8

Thanks Flint350. I have my 2nd AB800 on the way, I just need a safe wireless way to trigger. However, I have learned how to use my 420EX with FEL to fire AB800, without preflash.

I use it for fill flash now, but I don't want to do this once I get second strobe.

I realized with IR or as slave to 420EX other people's flash make my strobe fire also. I would rather go radio and set strobe to only respond to my camera.

Ordered a unit from Joesphotoauction2000... I know taking a chance, but it specically states it is safe for Canon's 6v trigger rating.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Ordered a unit from Joesphotoauction2000... I know taking a chance, but it specically states it is safe for Canon's 6v trigger rating.
God knows it's a lot cheaper than the Pocket Wizards (though they work wonderfully) and if it is truly safe, I'll be interested to hear how well it works for you.

Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:41 PM   #10

I have two of them and a third on order. The first two are the 4 channel AC models and the one on order is the three channel battery version.

They work fine for me. I've tried them onfive different cameras and all work fine. The cameras I have used are:
Minolta A2 (Both with a cable and the Minolta to hotshoe adapter)
Canon 10D
Nikon D70
Kodak 6490
Canon 300D

One person I know has had some trouble with them but he is using them on OLD lights that have very high voltages. Joe did replace the blown units with no problems.

So if you have that situation (high voltages) you may need a safe sync to the lights. White Lightnings, JTL and Normans all seem OK and I would expect Alien Bees to work also.

Even in a close area the radio works better since you can get blocked from IR by the umbrellas and softboxes. Also some of my pictures with IR, you could see the IR flash in the picture (depends on the camera/lens).

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote