Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jun 13, 2002, 8:21 PM   #1

Default studio flash and digicams (Sony DSC-F707)

I visited dweikel's very nice site on Alien Bees, then visited the Alien Bees site. At that site is the following:
"Digital cameras using preflash cannot generally be successfully used with any manual studio flash equipment. Even if the preflash can be ignored the camera aperture can not be adjusted, and overexposure will result. TTL operation is also not supported by studio flash equipment. Digital camera which have a hotshoe (Epson, Fuji and others) invariably have a manual external flash mode and are compatible with AlienBees units."
I have a Sony DSC-F707, which does not have a hot shoe or PC outlet, but which does have manual exposure, both aperture and shutter speed. I understand, from several writing at this (Steve's Digicams) site, that the SR Electronics SA-10 Digital Slave will work. Given this statement by Alien Bees right smack dab on their site, is this true? Also, would I have to buy a SA-10 for each strobe (I'd like to get four, for a key, fill, background, and hair light setup), or can I hook something up so I only have to buy one?
Thanks in advance.
philhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:52 PM   #2

Default Use the RC4X to fire 4 Bees from 1 digi-slave

Alien Bees offers a wired remote control unit - the RC4X. This unit will allow you to control the flash power and fire the units from a single device the photographer can control from the camera position. While I haven't actually done it, I'd bet that you can use one digi-slave to fire all your Bees through the RC4X. The only minor problem of course is the amount of light that the on-camera flash adds to the picture.

If you will please pardon my ignorance about the Sony, can you also manually select the white balance? This will be very important in the studio. The Bees produce light that is 5500 degrees K so if the Sony can be forced to daylight WB, you should be set.

Dave
dweikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 1:38 PM   #3

On the Sony, white balance can be selected manually (indoors, outside, auto, one-push manual). You can't, however, select specific color temps, except as they relate to the above mentioned options.
philhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 3:06 PM   #4

The SA-10 should work fine with the Sony. I've just used it on a Dimage 7 and Canon A10 but see no reason it should not. If you don't want to spend an extra $100 on the Alien Bees remote just get an adapter to plug in multiple sync cords in parallel and fire them all from the SA-10.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2002, 1:34 PM   #5

Default DSC F707 w/Studio Flash

I bought the Sony HVL-F1000 external flash to fire my studio strobes, since it only fires ONCE, unlke the built-on flash. It works great, I set my camera to manual, set the white balance manually and bounce the flash off the wall. I put some tape over 2/3 of the flash head, since the slaves don't need much flash to make them fire.
lmacnit is offline   Reply With Quote