Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:00 AM   #1

I'm really new with studio lighting and have a quick question. I'm in the market for some good lights and am considering Alien Bees B800's.

Do these lights work well with the Rebel (D300)? Any tips would be much apprecieated.

Thank you folks.

Scott
sdg_radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:35 AM   #2

The Rebel works great with the Alien Bees, get a IR hot shoe remote for your trigger and you won't have tangle in cords.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:19 AM   #3

Thank you Ross. One more thing, I read somwhere that the rebel's sync speed was 1/200. Correct me if I'm illiterate here, but does that mean that the shutter speed when taking shots should be around 100 to insure enough light hits the sensor?

I don't know where I read that, but I thought I remember reading that you should take your sync speed and divide it by two; which gives you a good exposure.

Is there any validity to this?

Thanks again.
sdg_radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:07 AM   #4

The Alien B800 is about 1/3200th of second and freezes action long before your shutter has closed. Shutter speed and duration all controlled by the flash.:|
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:45 PM   #5

I may be wrong, but I thought the AB's (great as they are) won't fire reliably using an IR trigger such as the ST-E2 Canon unit unless they are extremely close to the unit. While they are advertised as responding to IR, they are very limited in this regard. They are meant to work wirelessly with Pocket Wizard type receivers and not so well with IR like the Canon unit used with my 10D or the Rebel.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:21 PM   #6

I have 2 of the alien bees units and a drebel. I use an Interfit brand infrared to trigger my strobes. Works fine so far, but I'm a BIG TIME amateur. Hope this helps!
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:34 PM   #7

I also use the Interfit Infared unit on the Rebel and D-100 in my home studio...no problems of misfire at all. I don't know much about Canon's infared trigger, only that it costs much more. Wireless units are very expensive. They aregood for very large shooting areas and I'm sure are more reliable. Alien Bee's work great with infared for me.