Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 12, 2004, 7:52 PM   #41
NHL

MinutePhotos

I didn't know you are so easily impressed by "look". Remember there's folks with much better looking professional equipments than your AB's, and many times the cost as well (not counting the larger format cameras). IMO I rather select a photographer by his portfolio than the tools that he carries

I'll never get rich taking pictures! I'll stick to my desk job then... at least it'll pay for my next toy :-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:12 PM   #42

Come on stop messing around, you and I both know there are some yahoo's out there with point and shoot cameras that swear they are pros..... It is up to us to educate consumers on what good photography is. I was just at a night club and some guy was charging 15.00 for poloroids and custoerms where lining up.

But on a different note. My 420EX just can not keep up. I was at a car show Sunday and missed a lot of good shots due to slow recycle times. I am fed up with that flash and it MUST GO>>>.

So, NHL where do you suggest getting a Sigma 500 DG Super? :-).

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:01 PM   #43
NHL

Have you try B&H or Adorama?

BTW I was @ Disney World not too long ago and they had college students manning point & shoot digital cameras all over the parks charging $20 a pop for 8x10 that one pick up at a kiosk later... The only professional thing about their Kodak's digicam where the handle mount flash! :-)
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:08 PM   #44

Hey NHL, I know we have probably gone through this before. I saw the article where another photographer asked you a simular question.

I know you prefere the Sigma over the 420EX, but do you prefer the Sigma over the 550EX? I did some research and there are some custom functions to turn off E-ttl on the 550EX to make it TTL only. However, the 550EX can not work as a slave to the AB800.

I like your suggestion of doing both. If I have to buy a flash I want one that can work as both a better stand - alone flash for event work and work in a multi-flash configuration with either AB strobe or 420EX. If I could get all three to work together that would be GREAT.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:19 PM   #45

NHL wrote:
Quote:
... The only professional thing about their Kodak's digicam where the handle mount flash! :-)
Like this ?

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:28 PM   #46
NHL

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Like this ?
Exactly! ... no kidding and they make a bundle $$$ (@ the Cape too)
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:35 PM   #47
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
I know you prefere the Sigma over the 420EX, but do you prefer the Sigma over the 550EX? I did some research and there are some custom functions to turn off E-ttl on the 550EX to make it TTL only. However, the 550EX can not work as a slave to the AB800.
At the time I bought the 550EX, I could buy two 500DG Super for the same price... giving me three flashes total (550EX + 2x500DG Super)!

The cheapest way to get the 550EX is to get it as a package bundle with the ST-E2, but then you only end up with two heads. I opted for the Sigma which give me 3 heads instead and I can always program the Sigma to be an ST-E2 :-)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=226523&is=USA

BTW the 550EX is now discontinued for the 580EX... and the Sigma has came up in price!
There's nothing you can do about your 420EX though since you can't control it manually to modulate its output... even if you manage to sync it up to your AB - It will fire full blast (and slow you down in the recycling department). You can sync it as slave to the new Sigma though...
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:50 PM   #48

It's not what you got but how you use it. Looking "professional" can be done while shooting at your local SEARS. Getting excellent images can not. You can never have too many reflectors, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 6:07 AM   #49
NHL

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
It's not what you got but how you use it. Looking "professional" can be done while shooting at your local SEARS. Getting excellent images can not. You can never have too many reflectors, etc.
Well said!

I really respect a person when he can be creative and get away with the minimum like the above simple set-up example: It costed nothing - 1 rear flash and two reflectors, but the result was simply amazing

One can learn a lot too by going back and examine many of Kalypso's People Photo postings. Check his talent @ effective use of reflectors (and many shots were made with non-dSLRs) and see what you have to master still! BTW I don't think Kalypso has any need for flashmeter either, beside what are you going to do with all thoses lights in that seemingly tiny studio?

I've seen this a lot: people buy expensive equipments because everyone on the web recommended them in the hope of getting "better" pictures... The fact is, it's the person behind the lens and not their tools -> Go and peruse the Close-ups and the Landscape forums: I've seen more beautiful pictures coming from 3rd party affordable lenses than any 'L'. :-)
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Photography is about taking great pictures, and it is the ability of the person behind the camera that makes great things happen! Yes, the right equipment is important, but don't buy expensive equipment just because it will make you look like a pro ... it is more important to work on your skills, not on your look. http://www.naturephotographers.net/mg0600-1.html
Got it on the "Looking Good Part" . This came from an article NHL refered me to.

Ineed the right equipment,not only take good photos, but to learn as well.A photographer suggested the first thing I needed to learn is lighting ratio's, which requires at least two heads anda meter. This guy is little old school as he learned photography in college years ago and still only shoots film.He constantly suggests only buying pro equipment. Obviously, if I took that advice I would have only a pro camera body...

He is the person who suggested I get real strobes vs E-ttl lighting, stating "learning photography is like learning to do math longhand vs using a calculator". So in comparrison learning to bounce light off reflectors and still get the proper exposure is like learning to divide and do fractions when you can't add and subtract. :roll:.

However, I am learning to choose my equipment carefully, but I did get caught-up in the marketing hype.

Thanks for "en-lightining" me.

I have a bid for a Canon 550EX on Ebay. If I that doesn't work out I will get the new Nikon enabled Sigma 500 DG Super from Amazon for $199.00. That was the cheapest I found it.