Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:04 PM   #1

I will soon have two Alien Bee 800's and a Radio trigger system to fire strobes remotely. Great!

However, my main reason for buying more powerful AB800's was the idea of shooting outdoors. I have also already run into issues where using strobe indoors and running extension cords to power source was not possible.

I would love to havethe Vagabonbattery pack for strobes but it is too expensive. I have a cheapDC/AC converter I baught at Grand Auto it can handle 800 Watts. However, AB says you need a true sine wave inverter or you could damage the strobe. Has anyone been sucessful with anything other than Vagabon system?

Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive true sine waveDC/AC inverter that will be used with a regular car battery to power strobes?
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:47 PM   #2

I just did a google search for "DC/AC inverter" +"true sine wave" and this was the second hit.

http://www.oksolar.com/inverters/exc...-inverters.htm
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3

Thanks, I took a look at those and they look pretty good. The really good ones are pretty expensive. Alien Bees sells just there inverter for $199 and the best price one I found at that link was $139. for teh extra $60. I guess I will just get the Vasgabon then I am not taking any risks.

Unless someone has already tried one of these with good results??
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:16 AM   #4

There is A Very useful information artical By Jay Abend in the November issue of "SHUTTERBUG" Magizine.It covers the Vagabond system and will answer a lot of your concerns. Page 86.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:46 PM   #5

Thank you I will go pick that up right away. If it gets goog reviews I want to pick one up.

Patrick