Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:11 AM   #11

flint350 wrote:
Quote:
Most of the folks using AB's that I know about have switched to the Phillips Halogen 150W that you can find at Home Depot for about $4. It is not round at the top like a normal bulb, but has a beveled top and is narrower. Works great.
I agree...I use those for my normal hot lights (if I'm using them). One thing...don't handle the bulbs with your bare hands. No matter how clean they are, the oils in your skin will cause the bulbs to get hot-spots & they could burst (they get hot as heck)!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 3:47 AM   #12

Thanks, I will go pick a pair of those up tommorow. Now, I feel prepared for my Photoshoot. I am glad I took out the time to learn lighting, instead of buying better lens. I used to think my picture didn't look as good as I hoped because I had chep lens. The sales people at camera stores where telling me I should go with only L-series or L-primes. But man are they expensive, compared to how much a difference lighting techniques make,lighting is a much better value.

I am really happy I went with the AB800 studio strobes and shooting manual over trying to set up multiple wireless E-ttl flashes. The Sigma's and the 550EX / 420EX slave stuff seemed too complex and unreliable.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:30 AM   #13
NHL

Just a thought...

Your subjects are facing in every directions which make the lighting more difficult -> end up flat by trying to contol the shadows

Another variation is to have the subjects all facing toward the same way and you'll have more flexibility in making one strobe brighter (or taller/shorter) than the other producing a more striking effect
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Your subjects are facing in every directions which make the lighting more difficult
Thats a good point. Again, I never thoght of that... I think I was expecting the strobes to be able to handle everthing, but I am learning I still have to compose the shot. I think once I go the the 150 Halogen and turn tracking on I will be able to see how things are going to turn out.

I have pretty much only been tracking exposure using my light meter and leaving it at that. Just going full manual and getting decent shota has been challenging,
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote