Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:05 AM   #11

Hi RyanH,

All of Franks lights are studio strobes made by jinbei :-). No Hot lights involved except the modeling lamps in the strobes. I've been doing some checking into the brand and wish it was available here(in Canada) they look to be pretty good.

As for the lights in Franks image, in the foregroundone is in a softbox,one is in an umbrella. In the background one is in a barndoor and one is in a snoot.

Sorry to answer for you Frank, but your light brand has intrigued me. :G

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:27 PM   #12

All are flashes indeed.
It's a racktack setup for the picture to be honest .

Normally I use for the white background, two on front with softboxes or umbrella's or mixes.
And two on the background mostly to blow out the back with barndoors, or one snout for a hairlight.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:00 AM   #13

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I thought they were hot lights becuase they were on during the picture. Do these lights have the ability to function like a hot light or a flash?
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:16 AM   #14

Hi RyanH,

no they are strobes only. Most studio strobeshave a modeling lamp in them, so you can see where the light from the flash is going to hit and what effect it will have.

In a lot of cases the modeling lamp is just a normal household bulb 60-150watts.

I have an oldset of real cheep britek strobes that do not have a modeling lamp and they are not easy to setup and use.

Instead of Hot lights, you might look into compact fluorescents. CFL's are used the same way and in very similar stands and reflectors as hot lights but without the hot part. With modern digicams the odd greenish colored light of florescent lights is not a problem :-)

I just bought their largeDigital Photo Box and have been trying it with CFL lighting. I'll post some results as soon as I figure out how to use it correctly.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 9:53 AM   #15

I like the Steve Via Picture on the wall. Very cool studio.
shooter1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:52 AM   #16

Hi,
They do have modelling lights indeed, sometimes I use them as a hotlight but the lightoutput is alot less offcourse.

I love G3
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:03 PM   #17

Hi Frank, cool looking studio! I click on and browse these pics from time to time to see if I (as a newb) can spot which piece of equipment goes with who's remarks. I am still enjoying my newb-ness, and just starting to enter the lighting maze. Which camers(s) do you use? Have you got a favorite? Where do the stairs lead to? Last question...is that a role of duct tape? (second picture leftside on white cabinet/rectangluar shaped object) No real man can really get anywhere wthout it! One piece of "equipment" I recognized right off.Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:33 PM   #18

It is ducktape .
I just recently sold my 10D and bought a 20D.
I have only used it once now on sinterklaar (something like Santa) yesterday and I love it, I shot on ISO 200 with flash and the shots are as clean as crystal.

I will take it out more this week and I have some session planned with models so keep looking here .

The stairs lead to the topfloor, I have a small audio studio setup there.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:14 PM   #19

hey, nice studio

i was looking at that tape thinking it was gaffers tape, shows how much i know...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:50 AM   #20

Ducktape is gaffers tape ??
Or am I missing something ?