Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:37 PM   #1

With absolutely no chance of the government purchasing any more equipment for my office, here is what I have to work with:

-Nikon D70 with a Nikkor 24-120mm lens

-2 Excalibur 3200s with big soft rectangular diffuser boxes and tall stands

-1 Excalibur 1600 with a piece of cardboard taped to the shade and a short stand

-great backdrop, tripod

-room that is 12 ft wide by about 25 ft long, with a lot of immovable stuff in it

I DO NOT have any kind of sync cord, speedlight, or extra gov't $$. I take a lot of military photos, full lengths, and portraits in front of flags. There are shadows everywhere! Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, T
triced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:00 PM   #2

Take a look at this thread ...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

And this http://www.phototalk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1052&page=1&pp=10 is where some receipes are.

-----------------------------------------
Turn in a toilet seat and get a light meter if you can. If not pick up a can of pringles and use it with the histogram to get a light reading.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:00 PM   #3

triced wrote:
Quote:
With absolutely no chance of the government purchasing any more equipment for my office, here is what I have to work with:

-Nikon D70 with a Nikkor 24-120mm lens

-2 Excalibur 3200s with big soft rectangular diffuser boxes and tall stands

-1 Excalibur 1600 with a piece of cardboard taped to the shade and a short stand

-great backdrop, tripod

-room that is 12 ft wide by about 25 ft long, with a lot of immovable stuff in it

I DO NOT have any kind of sync cord, speedlight, or extra gov't $$. I take a lot of military photos, full lengths, and portraits in front of flags. There are shadows everywhere! Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, T
What kind of immovable stuff & where in the room is it? My advice would be to read all of the links in the first post of this (Flash Studio) forum.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:28 PM   #4

It's a huge printer/faxcombo that projects about 3 ft. into the room. Picture a long rectangle with the printer/fax thing on one side of the room to try to work around.

I read all of the links before I even posted! I Googled every possible combination of studio photo lighting before I even decided to try and ask someone via the Internet. Jeez.

I have tried so many variations with my camera/flash setup that my shipmates are tired of modeling! Does my problem have to do with the fact that I am trying to manipulate/use the flash on the camera?

I am asking if anyone has any suggestions for reducing the shadowsin my photos when I take them, so that I don't have to go the Photoshop route...

Thanks again, T
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:52 AM   #5

OK, now that you have done the preliminaries.

Using the on camera flash may be a problem. Another post in this area talks about using the on camera flash on the D70 and having some problems.

Describe the shadows you are getting:
1) If they are inline with your model then yes the on camera flash is causing them. Solution can be as easy as putting the third light and aiming it at the background to blast out the shadow.

2) If they are at angles then they are caused because you are not using one light to soften the other, and/or they are too close to the model, and/or the room is giving strange reflections to you.

I would advise turning the FEC to the lowest value for the top flash then stand back as far as possible, use the zoomto compose. Put the main and fill lights as high off the ground as possible to keep that fax out of the picture and if possible drape the fax with some dark material (you don't want it to act like a reflector). Put the third light low and in front and bounce it off of a large piece of white foam/cardboard to use it reflected. The reflector should be 4 feet minimum from the low flash.

Good luck,
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:17 AM   #6

Awesome tips! I will try those today...thank you very much.

Oh, and what was the Pringle can/histogram trick? If there is a post somewhere about it, could you please let me know?

Thanks again, T
Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:00 AM   #7

This is how to read a histogram... for different lighting types/styles...
http://www.naturescapes.net/092004/gd0904.htm

A Pringles can top acts like you are shooting a grey card (hold it over the lens and fire through it). So you can use it for white balance and for a centering up on the correct zone.It will give you a bulge that will appear in the "zone"(as in the zone system by Ansel Adams).

It will take a little trial and error at first but once you get it is pretty easy. It is a lot easier if you can borrow or rent a light meter for a day (buy one and return it if needed). Get some good readings then look at the histogram to get the light balanced.

Oh BTW since you are in an office type setting be sure to use a manual white balance or manually set it to flash/sunlight. If not the AWB will think the florecents are ambient and use them for balance.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:22 AM   #8

Good tip, would never have thought a pringles cap would work that way!

:cart:Now I have to head over to costco and get a case of pringles.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote