Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:59 PM   #1

I just purchased a travelite 750 to use with my Nikon D70 I'm using a (HSHSB) Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe Safe Sync to connect the camera, my question is do I have to turn off the flash on the camera to use it or will it do this automatically, I have looked through the manual of the camera and can't seem to be able to find any menu settings to turn off the flash so I can use the travelite flash instead, I don't want to find myself in a situation where I burn anything out on my new camera by connecting something improperly. I assume that I would have to turn the flash on the camera off, any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
:|
Bones_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:37 AM   #2

Bones,

I use thesame set up with my 10D. If you're using an off camera flash like the 750. You are probably shooting in the manual mode which does not activate the built in flash. The camera also senses when there is an external flash (hot shoe surge protector) conected to the hot shoe and will not activate the built in flash.

Good shooting, the travelite will add exceptional quality to your portrait photos if used properly.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 8:01 PM   #3

What about in macro or as nikon calls it Micro Mode :?, I found out that I can push the flash back down and it really don't come all the way back up anyway with the safe sync connected but it still dose pop up slightly, is their a way around this ? I plan on doing a far bit of macro Photography.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:28 AM   #4

Bones,

In my opinion, the travelites or any large off camera stobe lights aren't a good choice for macro photograpy unless you have the proper diffusion filters and reflectors. This type of lighting is more suited for portraiture and large settings (groups). Most photographers who use external strobes of this quality use external light meters and have their cameras setto the manual mode tothe precise settingsindicated by the light meter. Once you set the camera to the macro mode the default is for the built in flash to activate, if you are not using adedicated Nikonexternal flash. You will do much better if you get a macro flash (ring) unit. This will also allow you to shoot macro subjects in any location because it fits on the camera. Large strobes like the travelites are a poor choice for macro photography.

Bill
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:32 AM   #5

Hears the big question ? can I use external strobes of this quality and use an external light meters with my camera set*to the manual mode to shoot macro photography and get what I'm looking for if I use a white box to soften the light in what I'm shooting and a macro lens like a nikon 105mm f/2.8. Also will manual work in shooting macro.

Bones
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:13 AM   #6

Bones,

Sorry been under the weather. My honest opinion based on my level of experience is that youmight be much better off with fixed lighting. If you are very experienced with the use of strobes and light meters, perhapsyoucan get it to work without too much trouble. With the proper fixed lighting you could probably get by with just the camera's light meter. If I were the Calumet guy, I wouldn't have sold you that set up for Macro photography applications.

Bill
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:33 PM   #7

At the moment i am using the on camera flash to activate about 6 slaves in my studio. It works what i believe as well as using a PC socket, but to make sure i amgoing to buy the Nikon hotshoe-slave adaptor soon. I think if your using the hotshoe generally it will deactivate the flash automatically.
GenYuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:26 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice on everything but incase you haven't figured it out yet I'm a bit stubborn and once I get an idea in my head its hard to change it, it was not the guy at calumet that had the idea to use the strobes it was mine.

With the help of a friend who's a professional photographer that advised me I maid my decision.

Anyway I have been using the unit that I bought and am satisfied with the results and am sure that things will improve with practice.
So thanks again Bones_48