Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:32 AM   #11

planters49 wrote:
Quote:
Well, i got one of those light bulbs, got home and turns out I got a bad bulb, so I'll have to take it back tomorrow and get another one. In the mean time, what color umbrella is best? White or silver. Also what size is a good size?
Be careful to not touch the bulbs with your hands. Even if you just washed, the oils in your skin will create a hot-spot on the glass & these bulbs get very hot!

I would get the largest umbrella I could afford. Photogenic makes some great 60" ones that aren't too expensive. I use this one: http://www.adorama.com/POEC60BC.html & it's much brighter than my 45" silver.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:57 AM   #12

I like that photogenic Eclipse umbrella because it can be used as a normal umbrella or you can remove the black outer layer and reverse it, sending the light through it as a diffuser almost softboxey like.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:15 PM   #13

I got another light bulb and it works. There is a huge different in this bulb compared to that twisted one. This is indeed much better. (thanks for the warning about touching the bulb also)

One more question about umbrellas. Assuming that a three light setup is the best to start off with (1 main light with umbrella, 1 fill light with umbrella and 1 overhead hair light), is it best to have umbrellas that are the same size, or does the main light need to be bigger than the fill light?

Thanks again for the great answers!
planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:18 AM   #14

Same size brollies for the lights is fine, you control the intensity by altering the distance.

<Ignore this, info bit>
Light intensity falls-offs inversely to the square of the distance, what this means is that a light twice as far away as another light will deliver 1/4 the light intensity.
</Ignore this, info bit>

Just place your main light and meter it, then place your fill light and adjust its position until it looks right, one of the big benefits of learning withcontinuous lighting, is you see what you will be recording.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:19 AM   #15

I agree with PeterP about it being OK to have all the umbrellas the same size...however, unless you have a very large space to shoot in, 3-60" umbrellas are going to eat up a LOT of space. Personally, I use one 60" umbrella directly in front for fill & 45" umbrellas (white, silver or gold) for main lighting.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:14 PM   #16

Yes that is true! I forget about the space, Ihave a largish room about 14*30 so it is not an issue for me.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Homedeopt worklights aremuch cheaper
I tried these lights before with my Canon Digital Rebel and absolutely hatedthem. All of my shots came out with a yellow tint to them. Yes, I was able to correct this with Photoshop, but this is very time consuming. I strated out with Smith Victor hot lamps and almost immediately went Alien Bees Studio Strobes. I would recommend getting those JTL strobes. You can get a 2 or 3 light kit for not much more than the hot-lamp kit.

To me strobes are much nicer to work with. they still have modeling lamps so you get to see you shadows placement the same but without so much heat. Plus the light is whiter which in the end makes editing much easier. When I shoot with strobes I can get my shots perfect off the camera requireing only blemish removal editing.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:14 AM   #18

Thanks for all the help, I'm starting to put my studio togeather now.
planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote