Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1

I am using the following equipment:

1. Olympus D550 Point and Shoot Camera

2. Popular 606 External Flash Unit [PC Sync cable]

3. Slave Triggering Circuit [Detects First Flash]

Scenario: I am clicking a picture with both flashes on, i.e. the camera internal flash and the external slave flash, which was set for bounce as well as for direct.

Outcome: The picture turns out to be very dark. If the same picture is taken in the same environment but without the slave flash, the picture turns out to be brighter.

Assumptions: The D550 camera doesn't preflash with red eye reduction off and focus set to auto. :?. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Solution: I am in search for solution of using the existing camera and the external flash.I can tune up the "Slave Circuit" but it is possible after getting feedback from pros especially the ones who are aware of this D550 model. Also, if someone can tell me any special settings in the D550 which needs to be configured for slave flash, I would highly appreciate.
amf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:14 PM   #2

amf1977 wrote:
Quote:
3. Slave Triggering Circuit [Detects First Flash]
Is it the simple slave cell? in this case it will trigger the external flash at the first preflash of you camera's flash. So it's unusable if you can not diseable the preflash(es)

amf1977 wrote:

Quote:
Scenario: I am clicking a picture with both flashes on, i.e. the camera internal flash and the external slave flash, which was set for bounce as well as for direct.

Outcome: The picture turns out to be very dark.
My explanation: Theslave cell triggers the external flash at the firstpreflash (or the first of the preflashes). The camera sees very bright lighted subject and adjust it's own flash to much weaker. At the main flash, there is not enough light with the camera's flash, and, the external flash can't fire anymore, and can't contribute, make the situation worse.

amf1977 wrote:
Quote:
Assumptions: The D550 camera doesn't preflash with red eye reduction off and focus set to auto. :?. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I don't know this camera, but probably that it did fire at least one preflash

amf1977 wrote:

Quote:
Solution: I am in search for solution of using the existing camera and the external flash.I can tune up the "Slave Circuit" but it is possible after getting feedback from pros especially the ones who are aware of this D550 model. Also, if someone can tell me any special settings in the D550 which needs to be configured for slave flash, I would highly appreciate.
If you can diseable all preflash,your ensemblewill be usable togeter. If not (can not disable preflash) you have at least 2 options:

1) Buy a slave flash made for digital camera (the flash has the ability to ignore preflash(es) )

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

2) Use a slave trigger cell made for digital camera to trigger your existing flash:

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm
WEIN DIGITAL BATTERYLESS SMART SLAVES are designed to ignore the preflash or flashes and to fire any remote slaved flash in perfect synchronization with the on board digital camera flash.

http://www.srelectronics.com/sa10.html
SA-10 Slave Flash Trigger for Digital Cameras

Note: I did not try any of these, so I can't recommend anything.

3) Myself, I use the third solution: I make my own slave trigger :lol:

http://www.pbase.com/kcan/mfi2

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:11 PM   #3

Thanks KCan for your reply.

Same is the case here, I have made my own slave triggering circuit which works on the first flash with my wrong assumption. Nice to know, that I am connected with the right person.

Can we measure the number of pre-flashes by the naked eye? I meant, is it observable in any way?

Also, I went to the given link and I could see the circuit diagram, is it possible to have a high resolution picture of it ? so that I can print it out and experiment with your permission.

Also, my current circuit, doesn't require external power source, it drives from the HV on PC Sync, which I think you can also introduce in your circuit if required. Just anaddition of a high resistance with a capacitor and zener diode will give you the required VC. [If you're working with old flashes like mine which has around 45v or higher on the PC Sync pins]

If any body has experimented with the D550 camera for slave flash and can also comment, would also be very helpful.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:07 PM   #4

amf1977 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks KCan for your reply.

Same is the case here, I have made my own slave triggering circuit which works on the first flash with my wrong assumption. Nice to know, that I am connected with the right person.
You are welcome, I am glad too, doesn't happen often that someone is interested to a circuit:G

amf1977 wrote:

Quote:
Can we measure the number of pre-flashes by the naked eye? I meant, is it observable in any way?
Sometimes yes, but often no

amf1977 wrote:

Quote:
Also, I went to the given link and I could see the circuit diagram, is it possible to have a high resolution picture of it ? so that I can print it out and experiment with your permission.
Sure, Just email me (mine is in the profile)

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:04 AM   #5

Thank you KCan for your suggestions and sharing the circuit diagram. I have developed the circuit based on the same principle and found that the Olympus D550 flashes two times, i.e. one preflash + one main flash, although could not judge directly from the eye.