Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:26 PM   #1

Hello,

I could use some help if you don't mind. I have been asked to do a bunch of family pictures for a church bulletin. I would set up in a spare room at the church and family's would walk in I would take a couple quick shots and then move on to the next. I'm just going to do a simple gray back drop. My main question is where should I place my three Alien Bee 800 lights, and with what type of diffusers? I have 2 white bounce umbrellas, one large silver umbrella and a medium sized soft box. What do you recommend using and were should I place them taking into consideration I will have all different sized people and kids. Should I have the families sit down or just have them standing? I usually only shoot models and such I have never done family stuff before any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Chad

cdteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:36 PM   #2

For a simple group family portrait like that I would just use two 800s on each side of you with your white umbrellas. I assume that if these are just for a bulletin the will never be blown up larger than a 4"x6".

Don't place the lightstoo far apart or you will get shadows between the people. But far enough from each other to prevent shadows on the background.

Couples you can have stand provided that they are close to the same height. If one is exceptionally taller than the other I would seat one or both of them to try and even them out a bit.

Families with small kids usually work better sitting as well to even them out.

If there is natural light in the room, try to put it behind you or behind the background. Or close the shades all together. If you shootwith natural lightfrom the side, make sure you avoid shootingless than 90 degrees to the light or make sure youhave a lens hood on to prevent any flare. After being burned by this I always use a hood now.

Good Luck!

Dale

dhenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:08 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I was practicing last night with a family of 5 and made the mistake you were talking about by putting the lights to far off to the sides and getting shadows in between there faces. Thank you for the help I need all I can get right now.

Chad
cdteo is offline   Reply With Quote