Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1

I have a cheap studio that I set up and I am using halogen shop lights from Sears. They have the 4 1/2 in long bulb. They are 500w and is plenty bright for taking pictures of the kids but there is a problem. The color is way off. More orange/yellow than I prefer. I was told that the temp is 3200k and by adding a blue filter to the front of the light it would bring it up to 5000k. I have found something that might work (note the link below) but I do not want to buy all the extra filters. I need two to three pieces of filter each measuring 6" X 7".

http://buyporters.com/Merchant2/merc...;Category_Code=

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I cannot afford to buy good lights yet.

Thanks. Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:43 AM   #2

Set your cameras white balance to "tungsten" or "incandescent". This will make the camera compensate for the color cast.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:21 PM   #3

Do what kalypso said.
But if you want to use "filters", go to your local theater store and ask for gels, I like to buy all my gels from Rosco.

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:57 PM   #4

If you are dead set on using gels with halogen lights...you'll need to move the gels farther away from the light (probably reducing their usefulness). Halogen lights get extremely hot!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:42 PM   #5

Good point, I once bought some gels for a strobe, and after a few pops on full power, they started to deform and crinkle. I think they make heat resistant ones, but I have never tried them.
The best, and least expensive way, is to set your white balence. Either use a preset, or buy a gray card.

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote