Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:05 PM   #1

I am currently using some (2) halogen lights and white and silver umbrellas and using backdrops from tye dye like sheets. My camera is a Fuji FinePix S5100. Am I going to get true colors? I just want to take good pictures with out having shadows behind them from harsh lights. I need so much help with this cause I just don't know. Any advise and help will be much appreciated. I am not sure of taking pictures in the Raw mode. I would just prefer to use JPG and crop and edit some in Paint Shop Pro 8.01. thanks for help. Connie
ConnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:45 PM   #2

Try reading the info in the links at the top of this forum here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...99&forum_id=54

Hot lights are not that hard to use, if you set up your camera correctly. Use the forum search feature & look for "halogen" or "cheap lighting".
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:58 PM   #3

:love:Thank you SOOO much for the info... I will look it over and hope that I can use the info to help my situation. Connie
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:40 PM   #4

Hello:

You've definately have a lot of thinking to do. You should probably decide what exactly you are going to shoot and go from there. The S5100 is a great little camera. If you set a custom white balance with it you colors will be true. There is a lot of information and reasonably priced lighting kits on the following site:

www.sell-it-on-the-net.com
wwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:00 PM   #5

Thanks wwinn..I DO have alot of thinking to do. My main subjects will be little girls.... so far I have been taking just auto focus shots and not done anything with the white balance adjustments. I will go to your link and see what I can find. Thanks so much. Connie
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:39 PM   #6

Not to be a nit but you might go to your owners manual and learn how to set the white balance (p.55-56). You can set a "Custom White Balance" for the lighting you use in your studio. The camera will store this setting until replaced. It will stay even when the batteries are removed. You can then switch back and forth between the custom setting or any of the other SEVEN settings. There's also a setting for "incandescent light" that you might try first.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:23 PM   #7

thanks CCWKen I was trying to use the camera just as a point and shoot. Did not mess with white balance but now that my son and I have gained some knowledge from all of you here at the forum we will be trying that. I did not know either that the settings will stay. That is good to know. I do appreciate all of the tips and suggestions. Will be learning how this week end. Thanks!!ConnieD