Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:20 AM   #1

Default QUESTION ABOUT FLASH vs CONTINUOUS

i have a flash with a 120 ISO/100ft and would like to know what the 120 ISO means when compared to a SmithVictor Q60 continuous 600 watt light. is there a website that can explain these numbers for the not-so-technical amongst us??

my camera will be a Nikon CP950 to start.

i would like to set up a simple home studio(my first real try at indoor lighting) to practice portraits and i have a choice of either 3 - vivitar 285hv's flash, or 3 - SV Q60's as the light sources. i already have both sets so im stuck making it work as stated.

is one more preferable to the other. ??

pros and cons???

thanks in advance.

mikey
8)
mikeyinsunnyfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:33 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
i have a flash with a 120 ISO/100ft and would like to know what the 120 ISO means when compared to a SmithVictor Q60 continuous 600 watt light.
A little bit confuse about your number: A flash is usually rate with a guide number (GN) in ft or m at a specific ISO film speed. Do you mean GN=120 (in ft) @ ISO=100? The GN tells you the distance coverage of the flash at a specific ISO film sensitivity: If that's the case then when you set the camera for ISO 100, you can then divide the GN by the aperture to find the max distance. For example 120 / f8 = 15ft (or you can do the reverse to find the aperture setting if you know the distance). BTW this only works for one flash so if you have multiples, then a flashmeter will help (or a camera with TTL control).

600W is wattage the output of a lamp, very much like your household light bulb. It's more of a power consumption rating, but in general the higher the number the higher the light output, and some lamps are more efficient than other by giving out more light than heat!

Also for completeness, some studio strobes are rated in wattsecond (ie 600Ws) which dictates the system ability to how quickly it can recycles between shots, and how large an output it can put out in a short order...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:10 PM   #3

A little bit confuse about your number: A flash is usually rate with a guide number (GN) in ft or m at a specific ISO film speed. Do you mean GN=120 (in ft) @ ISO=100?

thanks, NHL! this explains it little bit for me. i guess a bit of experimenting will go a long way. as this is my first time trying any indoor light setups, im asking alot of questions that can be solved by trying, afetr all, there is no film involved so there is nothing lost.

thanks for the reply

8)
mikeyinsunnyfla is offline   Reply With Quote