Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:18 PM   #1

Flash vs Tungsten?

I want to start doing (people/animals) portraits is it better to use a Flash studio lighting or Tungsten studio lighting?

Phil
plove53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:24 PM   #2

I think it's easier to learn studio lighting if you start with tungsten...WYSIWYG.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:09 PM   #3

Hi Kalypso,

I was just wondering why it is better to start with tungsten? I have been thinking of trying studio images also but I'm finding looking at all these different studio setups with lighting mind wrenching to say the least. I've been looking at lighting kits on various websites and Ebay and I just throw my hands up in the air and hope to find the answer as to what I need somewhere..... :angry:
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4

I don't know if it's necessarily better to start with tungsten lighting. I do think it is easier to learn studio lighting with tungsten before jumping to strobe lighting. (My only reason to say this is because I taught myself solely using cheap home-made tungsten lighting setups). I also believe it's true because when you use a hot light set-up, you actually see what you're shooting prior to tripping the trigger.

Try these links to see some examples of both types of lighting & explanations on their setups:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=54&page=1

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ting%26quot%3B
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:04 PM   #5

Phil,

Ultimately, strobes will produce better results. But to learn, you're better off with tungsten lights.

Pro: WYSIWYG, Camera's meter and white balance should work just fine.

Con: Normally not as powerful as strobes (too dangerous), Difficult to use softboxes, Heat/safety issues, some halogen lights can explode. You'll eventually upgrade to strobes if you're serious.

MHO,

Bill - just took a $1,000.00 class and we didn't spend 5 minutes on fixed lighting.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:44 AM   #6

Great Kalypso! Thanks so much for your replies....I'm going to read up on the threads you posted....they look good!
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:17 PM   #7

Here is a thought. Try an outdoor studio. I live in the south (Tennessee) which lends itself to year round outdoor studio photography. I really appreciate just the right amount of fill flash to aid in the ambient light. Some of my best photos to date have been in these conditions.

Early morning or late afternoon shoots are generally the best.
mletson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:31 PM   #8

Like Kalipso, I learned lighting using hot lights. But with today's digital cameras and the instant feedback you get after taking an image, I would say start with studio strobes.

Pros: more powerful, can use softboxes/umbrellas easily, will not create a lot of heat

Cons: initial cost

Definately buy a book or two on lighting and study a little. Then try the setups in the books. Once you get comfortable with that, then you can start experimenting on your own.

Assuming you intend to stay with it, the strobes will be a good investment.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:36 PM   #9

plove53 wrote:
Quote:
Flash vs Tungsten?

I want to start doing (people/animals) portraits is it better to use a Flash studio lighting or Tungsten* studio lighting?

Phil
I have always used flash. However, what you must understand is what you see when using the pilot, is not exactly what you will see when triggering the flash. Flash has a tendency of bleeding. What you see is what you get with tungsten, Kino or HMI Cinema lights. You will generally get much higher output potential with flash and less heat output and consumption.

Here is a sample of Flash mixed with Tungsten and room lighting.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote