Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1

Hi, i'm a newbie to all of this, but i'm a quick learner. I recently bought a Smith-Victor Strobe lighting set. Didn't know i needed to connect the sync cables to SOMETHING on my camera, found out i needed to get a Safe Sync Hot shoe. After i got that, the very first shot i took, the strobe lighting worked....but after that, it hasn't worked since. Pressing the test button on the Safe Sync, and the Lighting works...but the strobe lighting doesn't flah when i shoot? What could be the problem that the lighting won't work together with the camera anymore. Oh, i've got a Nikon 8400
Ron Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:12 AM   #2

Hi

With what I have read on this forum about safe syncs, I think they are a load of you know what.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:34 AM   #3

Ron Davis wrote:
Quote:
....but after that, it hasn't worked since. Pressing the test button on the Safe Sync, and the Lighting works...
This mean the light are ok, but not 100% sure about the safe sync:
>> short the safe sync terminal (where it goes on the camera) to see if the light work?
- If no, the problem is the safe sync
- If yes, then the safe sync is ok, see next step

Ron Davis wrote:

Quote:
Nikon 8400
Check the camera hotshoe with a flash (with a safe trigger voltage), or with an analog ohmeter , you should see the needle moving briefly (a digital multimeter won't have time to react)

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:05 PM   #4

It depends on your strobe check http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
for user tested strobe trigger voltages.
The drebel can handle around 10v, the new eos 5d is rated for a max of 250v.

If you want to test it out yourself just jack an old vivitar 283 or 285 into your digital camera and see what smokes.

Peter.

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Hi

With what I have read on this forum about safe syncs, I think they are a load of you know what.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:37 AM   #5

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Ron Davis wrote:
Quote:
....but after that, it hasn't worked since. Pressing the test button on the Safe Sync, and the Lighting works...
This mean the light are ok, but not 100% sure about the safe sync:
>> short the safe sync terminal (where it goes on the camera) to see if the light work?
- If no, the problem is the safe sync
- If yes, then the safe sync is ok, see next step

Ron Davis wrote:

Quote:
Nikon 8400
Check the camera hotshoe with a flash (with a safe trigger voltage), or with an analog ohmeter , you should see the needle moving briefly (a digital multimeter won't have time to react)

As i stated before, i'm still new to all of this. I've been asking around for info...but some of the answers have been limited...lol. But how exactly do i short the safe sync. I don't have an external flash either to check the 8400.

Thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it. I really wish i found this forum earlier. It seems that as soon as i made some purchases, THAT'S when the help seems to come along.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:47 PM   #6

Ron Davis wrote:
Quote:
As i stated before, i'm still new to all of this. I've been asking around for info...but some of the answers have been limited...lol. But how exactly do i short the safe sync.
don't be uncomfortable to ask, that's what' forum's for , isn't it?:?

short the safe sync where it suppose to go to the hot shoe of the camera: ie make a conductive link from theflat part (it may have a conductive tab, a bit ressessed, i don't own a safe sync so I don't know exactely) TO the center pin protuding form the bottom (where it goes to the center spot of the hotshoe. use a piece of electrical wire , or a paper clip, Don't worry , it is suppose to work like that. And, you won't have a shock either, hey , it's a safesync :G, ok use a piece of paper over the paper clip if you like.

Ron Davis wrote:
Quote:
I don't have an external flash either to check the 8400.
hum ... no flash, no multimeter, I don't think about anything yet ... sure, you don't have a led with a resistor...
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:12 AM   #7

KCan wrote:
Quote:
short the safe sync where it suppose to go to the hot shoe of the camera: ie make a conductive link from theflat part (it may have a conductive tab, a bit ressessed, i don't own a safe sync so I don't know exactely) TO the center pin protuding form the bottom (where it goes to the center spot of the hotshoe. use a piece of electrical wire , or a paper clip, Don't worry , it is suppose to work like that. And, you won't have a shock either, hey , it's a safesync :G, ok use a piece of paper over the paper clip if you like.
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:21 PM   #8

Um...what does that top part of the electrical wire connect to?

I've got this one btw

Old Sep 24, 2005, 8:56 AM   #9

Ron Davis wrote:
Quote:
Um...what does that top part of the electrical wire connect to?

that is what I mean how to test the safe sync AND the strobe. The wire will simulate the closing contact of the camera hotshoe.
Oh, if the body is in plastic, then there is a small metal lug which made the electrical contact.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 9:05 AM   #10

Is the body of the safe sync made of metal? I don't have one so I assume. If my notes on the picare right, then you can connectthe strobe to the safesync and test both with a wire (or paperclip) by shorting as shown on the pic:

Attached Images