Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 31, 2003, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Aftermarket flash...

I'm looking for an aftermarket flash unit for the Olympus 5050, I see a reference to the Proflash, but couldn't find it on the web...

I find the olympus flash expensive for my budget right now, but really need one. A cheaper (but good) alternative would be nice...

I still haven't settled on the Olympus 5050 but definately leaning that direction, I'm trying to put together a package of everything that I will need to really learn about photography but have fun doing it.

I remember getting a quantaray flash for my maxxum and even at buying the best unit with all the bells and whistles it was still way under the cost of the most minimal Minolta flash unit... But, as before, quantaray is notoriously difficult to find information for on the web, and I ended up at Ritz looking through their catalog to see all that they offered.

Carpe diem...
rfphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2003, 5:16 PM   #2
lg

I infer you are looking for an external flash rather than a studio flash. There's a lot of info on add-on (external) flashes in the Flash (external) forum. I'm looking at getting a ProMaster 5750DX for about $200 including cable myself.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 5:26 PM   #3

I have the C-5050.Had it about six weeks.I bought two Quantaray MS-1 That work as slaves.great for playing around with light placement.Use these in Flash ,slave mode.and work off ten settings for the internal flash.Camera must be in Manual.
I also bought a sunpack DS-20 that will work in auto or as a slave.You can check these out.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=30235

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...ductId=5728609

Not a lot of money to play around to get started.
My $.02

Ray

D490Z,C-5050

PS If you want to get a little better go here.

http://www.srelectronics.com/
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 1:12 AM   #4

Quote:
I bought two Quantaray MS-1 That work as slaves.great for playing around with light placement.Use these in Flash ,slave mode.and work off ten settings for the internal flash.Camera must be in Manual.
Did you use one on the camera and the other as slave or did you use both a slave units and the camera's built-in flash to trigger the Quantarays? What do you mean by manual?
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 4:59 PM   #5

Camera must be manual (assuming no dedicated unit) 'cos most other settings for an external flash probably cause the Auto modes to expose for available light. Then Wham! the flash comes on and you've got the mixed light, can't white balance, orange face look.

So by setting manual, you force the shutter up (it's still slower than the flash), set the aperture for the flash range/ light output you've got and hey presto it's like shooting in the dark but perfect focus, reduced mixed light, clean pics.

Playing with the aperture gives you depth of focus control as well, if you've got the flash power. Hope this helps - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:23 PM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks all for taking the time to answer... I'm sorry I didn't see the forum dedicated to flashes, but you were all gracious to take the time to answer anyway...

Ray, great tips... I'm very new at photography but I want a camera and hot shoe flash combination that will help me be a better photographer from a technical perspective.

I was given a wrong brand name referring to the "pro" flash I mentioned in my first post. The Promaster is the brand rather than Proflash...

thanks all,

rfp
rfphill is offline   Reply With Quote