Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:54 PM   #1

i have a 20d and im looking into buying some studio equipment for fashion and product, my budget its around 4000 u$, i have read a lot of articles, after that my choices are :

2 dynalite m1000er
3 4040 heads
2 soft

i saw the visatek kits too and think they could be very good also (visatek solo 323- 3200k- 3 monolites)

what do you think ? any help or feedback will be most welcome,

thanks
sergiorueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2

I am sure that what you have researched is good stuff.

I recently purchased an Alien Bees package that included a battery power supply for location work and added on their wireless transmitter/receivers package for just over $2000 US. I have been very please with the system. It came with 3 800 watt strobes and I upgrade one of them to the 1600 to use as my main light. It came with 3 strobes, 2 13 ft light stands and a shorter one. I think it included 2 umbrellas and I added a third. You can check them out at http://www.alienbees.com

Happy hunting.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:49 PM   #3

thanks for the alien bees opinion but im interested invisatec monolites 3600w, or dynalite packs and heads(2 1000w 3 4040heads), which one is more versatile/cost-effective for studio work ?

thanks

sergiorueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:19 AM   #4

Sounds like you are shooting for an answer to a specific product question in a general product forum. Perhaps you should be running this by the manufacturers, instead of us!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 12:34 PM   #5

Visatec / Dynalite / AlienBeeare mid to low range lights well matched to a mid range camera like the 20D.
If you are interested in high quality units that deliver 1/3 stop repeatability then look at Broncolor, Profoto, Elinchrom or Comet.

It is not just the costof the initial unit, but consumables for it as well, the modeling lamp in the elinchrome el1000 is only good for 45 hours and costs around 30$, and the flashtubes are over 200$each. Keeping the high end lights up and running is not inexpensive.

By comparison the modeling lamp in a White Lightning X-series is a 3000 hour 250 watt halogen that in an emergencey can can be replaced by one fromhome-depot. And their flash tubes are only 30$ each as well.

What are you trying to light, your selections are way too much for small product or portrait work and not enough for the big stuff like cars and interiors.

sergiorueda wrote:

Quote:
thanks for the alien bees opinion but im interested invisatec monolites 3600w, or dynalite packs and heads(2 1000w 3 4040heads), which one is more versatile/cost-effective for studio work ?

thanks
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:35 AM   #6

PeterP makes a great point - check repalcement cost!

I have three old 600ws Photogenic Powerlights, they're great and the power output ratings were very conservative. But I recently burnt a bulb and the replacement is going to cost about $90. The ones I use at the local university (White Lightning 600 & 1200) only cost $25!!! Ouch.

Africa
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:42 AM   #7

I have to add my vote for the white lightning/Alien Bee units (five altogether). Very good general purpose units. I have had mine for years and have only had to replace one set of flashtubes once.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote