Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:42 PM   #1
AMG

Hi all, I have posted under another thread and was told to post here, so in a nutshell, I have pics using fill flash outdoors ( in AV mode ) where the background is underexposed. I believe I know why, but would like to know for sure, my thoughts are once I've told the camera that I am using the flash, it must set the shutter speed accordingly to allow for a proper exposure of the subject even with the minimal flash output. I suspect fill flash works perfectly only when the subject is backlit or at the very least darker than the background. when the background and subject are equally lit, then using fill flash will always underexpose the background more of a side effect of the shutterspeed being increased automatically. I had taken pics one after the other with fill flash and without, and the pics without flash have the background exposed well, as opposed to the fill flash pics. Can someone let me know if I am right, and more than that, how to achieve the proper result when using flash outdoors when the subject is already well lit. thank you. I have already received some help but I am exploring all avenues here. using canon elan 7e with 420 EX.
you can see the pics under this thread

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:02 PM   #2

It's difficult to figure out what your doing because I don't know your shutter speed, aperture, ISO, or whether your using automatic or manual settings on your flash.

You could possibly remedy this situation by using your flash in manual mode and use the lowest power of fill flash power (try 1/16 or 1/8th power or the equivalent of adding 1/2 stop or 1 stop of light to your frame).

You could also fool with exposure compensation a little. You could fool your camera into thinking there is less light available than actual, thus brightening up the scene.

Also try using longer exposure times, on a tripod.

So many variables, so many results...

- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:58 PM   #3
AMG

I thought I would share, I had a lot of feedback over the various places I posted, and the answer seems to be Nevec, programming in many cameras that does the thinking for you and unfortunately undoing the somewhat manual control you have in creative modes. For example, in AV mode, the shuterspeed will change when you turn on the flash. That should not happen and therefore your background will become underexposed, but your subject will be exposed by the flash fill in. It does work nicely in those situations where your subjects are backlit, but when the scene is pretty well balanced, camera leads you away from the predicted result.

thanks to widowmaker who first mentioned this too me, and now I have read quite a bit about it.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:47 PM   #4

I now with most canon bodies, in certain modes (Tv and Av for example) the cameras exposure computer only takes the subject into mind w hen using flash. it will make the background pitch black if it has to. if you want the background exposed correctly, go into manual mode and use a slower shutter. or use slow syncrho if its night (with a tripod)
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 4:31 PM   #5

crash331 wrote:
Quote:
I now with most canon bodies, in certain modes (Tv and Av for example) the cameras exposure computer only takes the subject into mind w hen using flash. it will make the background pitch black if it has to. if you want the background exposed correctly, go into manual mode and use a slower shutter. or use slow syncrho if its night (with a tripod)
In AV mode, with a flash like the 420, 550 and up, canon cameras will expose the subject to match the background.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote