Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1

upfront, i'm a newb. i've been thinking about buying some lights to learn, yada, yada, yada. and i don't have a lot of money to shell out. i've looked at alien bees since they seem to be so popular on these boards.

but here's my question. take a set up like this being sold on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1250w-STUDIO-PHO...QQcmdZViewItem

in my price range, i'm probably only able to do the beginner kit at alien (http://www.alienbees.com/beginner.html) and a couple of reflectors (probably home made with foam core, etc).

so is that Ebay set up good, bad, worthless? :?
bbolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:48 PM   #2

Those on ebay are tungsten, or hot, lights. The Alien Bees are studio strobe. Big difference.

I used with hot lights for shooting, many, many, years ago when I was starting, but I couldn't go back now. I still use hot lights, but only for video, and many thousands of watts too.

Personally, I think you would be better off starting with one Alien Bee, an umbrella and maybe a reflector or two. Then add additional units as your budget allows.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3

ok thanks.

i was thinking that the alien bee was a continuous light also. hmmm... i would kind of like to start that way instead of flash, or is that not what strobe means?
bbolte is offline   Reply With Quote