Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1

I recently recieved the B+H catalogue, and in it I saw some "studio" lights, that were very affordable. Obviously, they were entry level, as some of the lights were way more money, but this kit came with three lights, two 500 watts and one 250, all with the umbrella, and the carry bag as well. What should I be looking to get? How much wattage is enough? These lights are constant? or strobe? What are barn doors? (saw them in the book as well, but don't know why they are better?

Pretty generic, I know, but I would appreciate anyones help!!

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:56 AM   #2

Sometimes B&H will have good deals on "kits", but unless you point us to the specific lights link, your questions mean very little to us. One of the best deals in affordable, excellent lighting (great service too) can be found at www.alienbees.com
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:09 PM   #3

maybe a better question is what should I look for, in a first set of lights? then I can narrow my search....do I need strobes, or constant lights? is three needed? (left right and background) umbrellas, or softboxes? any advise there?

I am interested in portraits, and green screen productions (people pictures)
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:40 AM   #4

dashboardgyno wrote:
Quote:
maybe a better question is what should I look for, in a first set of lights? then I can narrow my search....do I need strobes, or constant lights? is three needed? (left right and background) umbrellas, or softboxes? any advise there?

I am interested in portraits, and green screen productions (people pictures)
Strobes are always better than hot lights. Firstly there are no concerns with heat and safety using strobes. Hot lights are 'hot', and even 1000W is sometimes not enough. For portraits, constant lights will produce a lot of heat, and make people feel uncomfortable. Also, it will be difficult to diffuse them using softboxes etc. Another problem is that because the lights will be on all the time, they will make people's eyes (iris) contact, giving a bad picture.

Strobes are better for you. As a start, get just one light wil a softbox andumbrella. Also get reflectors in different colors. If you want really white or bright backgrounds, you might need more lights to blow out the background. As you progress, you might also need additional lights as fill lights and hair lights. You can get them all right away if you can afford to.
ignitef is offline   Reply With Quote