Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:41 PM   #1

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-1250w-PHOTOGR...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-studio-strobe-f...QQcmdZViewItem

I shoot people, in my basement (sometimes families.... no windows. (set up time is standard as they are always out and ready) Ceiling height is 7 ft or so. room is 18 x 30 or so. Kinda prefer the strobe kit, like the idea of the soft boxes,and you seem to get more from the more expensive kit, but the bulbs are lower wattage... don't know howlowor how strong you need... but I do video as well, so maybe the constants are better ...either way I take all the advice into consideration. Let me have it!!!
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:32 AM   #2

you shoot people in your basement? sometimes families? no windows???? MODERATOR!!
martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3

MODERATOR!!! For what? Many people use basements, garages & even barns for studio space. I know I have, so why the cry for a Moderator?

As fas as the original posters question...you can hardly go wrong with Alien Bees lights. Great products, excellent company & excellent service too. You can only oreder them direct from here: http://www.alienbees.com
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:50 PM   #4

Kalypso - I'm sure martinbishop meant it as a joke... you know, "shooting people in your basement" - get it?

gordonj
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:17 PM   #5

I was of course joking. My apologies for any misunderstanding! Bees seem like a good bet. Here in the UK they're less familiar, but I agree with the advice of going for something less expensive. Light is light and studio flash is actually pretty low-tech compared to things like TTL metering.

If you're serious about video though that's the one thing that might suggest continuous lighting. You could always have a more improvised setup for video though, wouldn't be expensive at all. Continuous light for photographycan bechallenging.

Love your work Kalypso, nice to meet in a thread.
martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:10 PM   #6

Well, I guess my sarcasm didn't translate to print very well either...... :blah:

Nice to meet you too Martin!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7

The strobe kit mentioned in you second ebay url (ProPhotoStuff) is a decent and highly cost effective basic/starterkit. They deliver the kit quickly and everything is as advertised and functions very well ... ideal for an inexpensive solution for a quality, easily portable, studio that will last a long while with just a little care. Well worth the price for a strobe setup. My brother-in-law also purchased one and likes the results he gets with his 20D and the cordless slave trigger.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:53 AM   #8

thanks everyone for your help... I bought the strobe kit ....and it did come in within the week..that was awesome.. I have it set up and life is good. still trying out different angles etc.... and my radio trigger doesn't work.... might be because I have a sony 828.... damn sony.... I will look into that some more...

I did get the joke, actually I made it myself after re reading my post.. I was like... oh no...here comes the comments!!! :lol:

thanks again, for the advice...
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:12 PM   #9

Read page 72 of your manual about turning the hot shoe to "on" for non-sony flash. The IR trigger should work. Remember to reset it for using the HVLF32X or similar sony automatic flash.

However, I prefer to use the built-in Sony F828 flash, sometimeswith some diffusing material over it (white plastic coffee can lid material or filter material —or an old exposed end-piece of processed film (what you normally throw away) as it passes IR, triggering the strobes, but does not pass the "flash"). Turn off red-eye reduction andset the external strobes to ignore pre-flash.

Glad you like that kit — its one of the few good "bang for your buck" buys around now days, at least IMHO!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote