Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:52 PM   #1

so I'm new to studio lighting and am having trouble getting the very basics of basics down. I'm shooting with a Canon 20D with a(so far) 2 monolight setup from Photogenic ...the StudioMax III to be specific. The lights are in working order...they flash when I release the shutter, and the slaves areon time.Problem is, even with numerous attemps at changing the exposure, I'm getting a half dark image...even at super fast shutter speeds. ( realize i need a meter). I'm sure it's a user error, but is there anything with the 20D that I should know when it comes to trying to sync studio lights?

Also... the modeling lights. I know their purpose, and these lights have them. Should the mod light AND the flash bulb be constantly on? I thought the modeling light would be on for posing/focusing reasons and then go off to allow for the flash. With these, the heads have a setting for "flash" and "model/flash. What the heck is the purpose of the modeling light if the flash buld remains on with it??

Thanks in advance for any nfo anyone can give me. I apologize if this is a repeat cry for help, but I've become quite discouraged with my first attempt. HELP!
JM32604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:20 AM   #2

no ideas as to why i would be getting a half dark image when the lights are flashing correctly? There are some knowledgeable folks on here...I know someone has has some idea :?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:53 AM   #3

Modeling lights are to give you an idea of the shadows cast by your strobes. I don't have a 20D, but I would look in the manual & make sure you aren't set-up to flash using "rear curtain synch" or something similar.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:45 AM   #4

Your half dark images are most likely the result of using too high a shutter speed. Check the manual of your camera. Somewhere in there it should tell you what the top shutter speed is for syncing with flash.

Bear in mind, TTL flash and external studio strobes may not be able to sync at the same speeds. You TTL sync might be higher.

When shooting with strobes, the exposure is not controlled by the shutter speed setting, but by the aperature (and the power setting on the strobe).

For starters, try using 1/125 second. As long as you do not get a half dark image, you can then leave that alone. If you still get half dark, try a slower shutter speed.

I am not familiar with your Photogenic lights specifically. However, the model lamp is on continuously (some units will dim the model lamp when the flash fires). That would be the 'model/flash' position. The 'flash' position most likely turns off the model lamp. But as long as the unit is turned on, the flash is basically ON, just waiting for the trigger to fire.

Hope that helps.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:18 PM   #5

it does help. Thanks for the input. I will experiment more and probably return with more questions. Thanks for the replies!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:07 AM   #6

A light meter is a must. I have a set of AlienBees and I always meter them individually and set my camera to the exposure of the key light (main, brighter light). When shooting portraits, I usually use 1/60 shutter speed and f11 or so. I adjust my key light to read f11 on the meter and then I adjust the fill light to read f8 or even a little lower. I usually get very good results. Placement of the lights is also important. I have played around with various setups and have found that having each light at about 45 degrees to the subject gives good results. Of course you can move them around a lot and get different effects.

The half dark image sounds like a shutter issue. As was mentioned, make sure it is not too fast. If you could post an example it make help in figuring out what is going on.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 6:25 PM   #7

I ran into the same thing when I first got my setup. Like others have said, the problem is the max flash synchronization speed on the Canon 20D. The maximum shutter speed it will sync up with your lights is 1/250. Dial in 1/250 or slower, and you should be alright. Good luck!
imadethis is offline   Reply With Quote