Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:00 AM   #1

I'm taking a photography class and the text recommends setting up a very basic home studio with three 250W tungsten floods and one spotlight.

Since I have a digital camera (and can see the results instantly), is there any point in using continuous lighting instead of strobe besides cost?

thanks,
Amy
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:51 PM   #2

The good thing about continuous lighting is that you can see the results in "real time".
Studio lighting is sort of sculpting with light. A flash can give good results but you can't really fine tune the highlights and shadows to emphasize or de-emphasize particular aspects of the subject -- to get those subtle tonal gradiations that impart a greater three-dimensionality to a flat photograph.

This is what they are trying to teach you in class with the light setup.

Now, if you already have a multi-flash lighting arrangement, you can certainly use it, but your results will be more trial-and-error than if you use continuous lighting. A strobe setup is best used after you have learned the basics of studio lighting.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the very helpful reply, Grant.
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:32 AM   #4

Just be careful as the continuous lights get awfully hot, and the subject gets the lights blasting on them along with the heat, which may produce the squinty eyes, and even sweat drops on the face. And the last complaint that I can think of is, that the lights will change colour and go more yellow with time, which means you colours eventually will be off. So be aware.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I just posted similair questions within the last month, and that is what everyone told me. I went out and bought the strobes, and while they are more money, they are awesome. They even have a "modeling" light which is on constantly, illuminating the subject, and then you get the strobe when needed. My modelling light is bright but not over powering. Or at least no one has complained yet!!:roll:

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote