Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:31 PM   #1

I am doing product photography for a website I just launched as well as work with models. I'm shooting clothing and accessories.Any recommendations to cutdown on my time spend adjusting color and shadows in photoshop? Strobes? Umbrellas? Floods?
haleysolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:31 PM   #2

I started with a norman system that was recomended to me where the strobes only had 120ws each, there are 4 of them. I got the whole package on ebay for $500. I should sell it back, I've not used it since the first time I tried it.┬*┬*Strobes┬* run cooler┬* and should help you┬* if your environment is temperature challenged. Also helps not cook the models makeup or make them sweat. I learned quickly 120ws wasn't powerful enough for what I wanted to do.┬* Not bright enough for vivid fashion shots with big distant light.I can't image having less than 1200 ws as a key light now, often use a 4800 dialed down to 1200-2400 range. For some fashion shots I use a full 4800ws.I then bought 2 used Speedotron 4800ws power packs and 10 strobe heads 106, 102 series Speedotron and three 8 ft boom remote stands. Now I have the flexibility to shoot anything.┬*It's entirely a different league of power. But when portriat photographers see my rig, they remark I have too many strobes. I have used all of them to light a couple large Bars/Pubs.┬* And I can grab an extra light to test a lighting idea without having to move anything I've already metered. The Photoflex softboxes are fine.┬* The Century Stands Amovona sells on ebay are a great┬* deal. You didn't mention a budget. I bought pro lighting gear used.I have some friends that are very fond of Broncolor but I can't afford it, even better they like Elinchrome. - ouch $$$$
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:01 PM   #3

I've been looking at a portrait light set. 3 strobes with 2 white umbrellas,2 brackets and stands for 700.00. Not sure what the watts are? Made by squire. I'd like to go lower or make sure that I'm getting what I need.I do mostly products and I don't know very much about photography. I know how to fake it, how to adjust pics in photoshop, what's good and what's bad. I have a digital camera and was told it might not sinc well with a strobe. I really need to cut the yellow out mostly b/c my office is yellow.

Thanks for your help!
haleysolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:49 PM   #4

might want to ask on the people forum. There are a few pros on there that post some great modelling shots....
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote