Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1

There are many, many commercial backdrops to choose from. You guys and gals that do portraiture for a living -- or for fun -- if you had to take, say, two or three backdrops to a desert island . . . what patterns would be your choices? I guess I'm looking for the "you can't go wrong with these even though they are boring" type suggestions.

-o-
Mike Rocket J Squirrel
ariaaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:38 PM   #2

Strange as it may sound, but it does answer somewhat your question, Ioften usea green chromakey background (blue is second). I have many background shots I've taken myself or purchased over the years and simply "PhotoShop" them in. I like http://probackdrops.com/backdrops. I have not used a painted backdrop in several years!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:52 PM   #3

Hmmm . . . sounds very sensible!

-o-

Mike Rocket J Squirrel
ariaaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:45 AM   #4

Hger- Can you post some of your examples of your portraits with the digital background. I was wondering if it was worth the $$ to get several backdrops or just do a digital swap. Thanks.

soukups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:24 PM   #5

One word.....polartec fleece. It can be wadded up & shakes out wrinkle free, a 3'x9' piece is about $20.00 at your local Wally World and it's very soft (for those shots on the floor), makes a great winter-time model wrap, retains heat when wet (which might be handy depending on which island you're on).
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:07 AM   #6

soukups wrote:
Quote:
Hger- Can you post some of your examples of your portraits with the digital background. I was wondering if it was worth the $$ to get several backdrops or just do a digital swap. Thanks.

Doing it digitally isn't too hard once you've mastered your extraction methods. My ex-wife took this image of our daughter with her digital camera:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos/66313053-L.jpg

I cut her out from the original background using the Extract tool in Photoshop CS2, changed the orientation from horizontal to vertical, touched up the color, contrast, cleaned up her eyes, whitened her teeth just a little but not too much,added a little sharpening and dropped ina backdrops to complete the setup:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos/66487201-L.jpg

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 5:52 PM   #7

I too use a blue screen ( for almost all my model shots ). If you want to a lot of examples, check ....

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=92920

Its limiting, ( you need to find the right backgrounds, with right angle, lighting and extract, color correct etc ) but adds a lot of freedom too ( using images of expensive muslins, place a model anywhere in the world, never have to have the model and the environment present at the same time and so on ).
pellepiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 4:06 PM   #8

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
One word.....polartec fleece. It can be wadded up & shakes out wrinkle free, a 3'x9' piece is about $20.00 at your local Wally World and it's very soft (for those shots on the floor), makes a great winter-time model wrap, retains heat when wet (which might be handy depending on which island you're on).
Does it come any wider than 3'? If not, this would be a significantly limiting factor.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:51 AM   #9

It usually comes in 60 " widths and can easily be sew together for wider widths.
mrslevite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:12 PM   #10

I just found this thread, and I wanted to add my .02... my absolute favorite backdrop??? a piece of 60'' black faux velvet i got @ walmart for like $10. ITs 60 inch's by 2.5 yards its an excellent size, stays nice and smooth, the only thing i dont like,is that it rolls on the corners... i think some fishing weights tho, would stop that.. the only other one that i love?? is this ugly pink and purple canvas 8' x16' and the only reason i love it so much, is its my ONLY canvas. ive got a couple muslin, and i HATE them absolutely cant stand them.. theyre awful to work with i have a green chromakey also, but have had trouble with light placement, to where the green doesnt fade onto the model i actually have had the best luck, just using one of my programs, and cutting out the backdrop...ive done it successfully, in fact, ive even removed an entire person!
luvmycanon is offline   Reply With Quote