Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 2, 2006, 2:52 PM   #1

hi

im tryng to be real cheap and i managed to get my hands on some grunty 500w halogens used for contruction LOL. they were dirt cheap.

See them here
http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/lighti...&orderby=1

Now i no the light is really harsh out of them so i was thinking oF REFLECTINGit with an umbrella

is this the best way to soften the light?

if so should i get a plain white, or a black backed silver lined.

I have fz30 so i want to keep the shutter speed reasonably hi (atleast 1/20+) without using an iso higher than 100 if possible. will the white reflect enough of the light to still use a higher shutter. I want to use the 2 lights for cose up portrait and possibly full length. but i still want to achieve that all over soft light

thanks
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 8:47 AM   #2

you might be able to use an umbralla, someone would have to confirm.

keep in mind that the halogen light will give you yellow tint. You will have to correct in photoshop.

I was using halogen lights, but was able to find a nice "white" one to provide harsh lighting effect.

If not, try finding the GE Photoflood 500 lightbulbs. not cheap, but much better results.

hackphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 9:18 AM   #3

You can use an umbrella as long as you have it far enough away from the lights so the heat won't burn it. I (love) & ususally use a 60" Photogentic convertible white umbrella. You don't necessarily need to correct the lighting in post either...setting your cameras white balance to incandescent light will get you very close to the right color temp.

I used that setup for this (but with 100W halogen bulbs):
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2006, 2:35 PM   #4

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
You can use an umbrella as long as you have it far enough away from the lights so the heat won't burn it. I (love) & ususally use a 60" Photogentic convertible white umbrella. You don't necessarily need to correct the lighting in post either...setting your cameras white balance to incandescent light will get you very close to the right color temp.

I used that setup for this (but with 100W halogen bulbs):

woow that was taken with 100w bulb. how many did you have and what were the cam settings. was it very hi iso????

, and do you think i should go for the plain white umbrella or the black backed wth silver lining to throw more light back.

i ideally want to use my cam at iso100 shutter prob atleast 1/15. so do you think a couple of 500w halo and a white/;black umbrella will do the trick and still achieve soft even coverage.

thanks

ken
Old May 3, 2006, 2:40 PM   #5

hackphotography wrote:
Quote:
you might be able to use an umbralla, someone would have to confirm.

keep in mind that the halogen light will give you yellow tint. You will have to correct in photoshop.

I was using halogen lights, but was able to find a nice "white" one to provide harsh lighting effect.

If not, try finding the GE Photoflood 500 lightbulbs. not cheap, but much better results.

thanks for that mate
yellow tint is ok, i can use manual white balance to couter it or ps, but i will be shooting in raw so hopefully not an issue

your shots is awesome mate

ken
Old May 4, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
woow that was taken with 100w bulb. how many did you have and what were the cam settings. was it very hi iso????

, and do you think i should go for the plain white umbrella or the black backed wth silver lining to throw more light back.

i ideally want to use my cam at iso100 shutter prob atleast 1/15. so do you think a couple of 500w halo and a white/;black umbrella will do the trick and still achieve soft even coverage.
I took that using two 100W halogen bulbs. The main was from about 2ft away to her upper left (aimed down about 45 degrees) reflected off a 45" silver umbrella. The fill light was a 100W halogen bulb, reflected off my white 60" Eclipse umbrella directly in front & about 3.5-4 ft away. ISO was 100.

Like I said, the 60" Eclipse umbrella is my favorite (& most versatile) umbrella I own. It is a white translucent inner (covering the ribs too), with a removable black cover (so it can have the light shot-thru it, like a softbox).

Ideally, you will want at least 2 lights (although it can be done with 1, it's easier to learn with 2), a main light and a fill light. Check the 1st thread in this Forum for many ideas of lighting placements & other useful info.
Old May 4, 2006, 2:14 PM   #7

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I took that using two 100W halogen bulbs. The main was from about 2ft away to her upper left (aimed down about 45 degrees) reflected off a 45" silver umbrella. The fill light was a 100W halogen bulb, reflected off my white 60" Eclipse umbrella directly in front & about 3.5-4 ft away. ISO was 100.

Like I said, the 60" Eclipse umbrella is my favorite (& most versatile) umbrella I own. It is a white translucent inner (covering the ribs too), with a removable black cover (so it can have the light shot-thru it, like a softbox).

Ideally, you will want at least 2 lights (alhough it can be done with 1, it's easier to learn with 2), a main light and a fill light. Check the 1st thread in this Forum for many ideas of lighting placements & other useful info.
great thx 4ur help

ken