Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 14, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1

I have been looking into buying the Isight webcam from Apple for my computer so my girl friend in China and I can talk and see each other over the computer. After doing several hours of research on the internet I see that most webcams including the Isight seem to have problems adjusting well to the lighting in most home computer settings. I know I don't have the best lighting in my room for a webcam and wanted to see about improving the lighting some. Let me first say that this will be a temporary thing because I am selling my home. I was thinking of trying two small table lamps that I could adjust the brightness on but I am not too sure what kind of bulbs would be best to use for a natural look. I was going to place the lamps in front of me and to the sides some. I also thought about trying to bounce the light off the walls in front of me using aluminum foil as a reflector. My room is about 9' x 12' with the walls painted an eggshell color. I currently have only one light in my room and it is on the ceiling behind me and to my left rear as I sit at the computer. The bulb is one of those 100 watt replacement fluorescent bulbs that just screw into a regular socket (1750 lumens). I will be about 2 feet from the webcam that will be mounted on top of my monitor at about head level. My main goal is to get a natural look with a temproary system. I live in a small town so i'm not sure what all I can get locally.

You guys have been a lot of help in the past helping a newbee with his Panasonic FZ20 and tripod questions I thought I could get some input on this project.

Thanks, Allen
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 9:33 AM   #2

mebareit wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking into buying the Isight webcam from Apple for my computer so my girl friend in China and I can talk and see each other over the computer. After doing several hours of research on the internet I see that most webcams including the Isight seem to have problems adjusting well to the lighting in most home computer settings. I know I don't have the best lighting in my room for a webcam and wanted to see about improving the lighting some. Let me first say that this will be a temporary thing because I am selling my home. I was thinking of trying two small table lamps that I could adjust the brightness on but I am not too sure what kind of bulbs would be best to use for a natural look. I was going to place the lamps in front of me and to the sides some. I also thought about trying to bounce the light off the walls in front of me using aluminum foil as a reflector. My room is about 9' x 12' with the walls painted an eggshell color. I currently have only one light in my room and it is on the ceiling behind me and to my left rear as I sit at the computer. The bulb is one of those 100 watt replacement fluorescent bulbs that just screw into a regular socket (1750 lumens). I will be about 2 feet from the webcam that will be mounted on top of my monitor at about head level. My main goal is to get a natural look with a temproary system. I live in a small town so i'm not sure what all I can get locally.

You guys have been a lot of help in the past helping a newbee with his Panasonic FZ20 and tripod questions I thought I could get some input on this project.

Thanks, Allen

The Lowel Ego is awesome for this sort of thing, as well as lighting product photography:

http://www.lowelego.com/LWE.portrait.html

Chris

www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks Chris, that looks like a nice unit but is more then I am looking to spend for my needs. It did give me some more ideas though. After my first post I went to our local Home Depot and looked in their lighting supply for some ideas and thought about building something like the lights on a vanity mirror. Maybe three lights on a side with a dimmer switch. I also saw some light bulbs that were a light blue in color that I think might give me a little better natural lighting. I think the bottom line is I will have to get the webcam and just play with the lighting. I like the shade/defuser on the Lowel Ego so maybe I can find something I can use to build a shade/defuser with. Again thanks Chris for the help.

Allen
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote