Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 22, 2006, 2:38 PM   #1

I'm looking for starter recommendation on lights that can be used for portait work. I don't have a lot of space so small will be nice. Basically I'm looking to hear from others in this forum who have successfully launched a studio on a shoestring. I was thinking on getting two 54MZ4s but together they will be expensive and I cannot afford to spend more than a few hundered bucks on the entire combo.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2

I have heard a lot of reccomendations for AlienBees so I tried them myself and I love mine.
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 9:51 AM   #3

The http://www.alienbees.com are about as "shoesting" as I would willing to go for good quality strobes. If you want something so cheap that you will quickly outgrow them, most anything will work (i.e. Home Depot work lights).
Old May 23, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4

Are there any home depot lights (or any cheaply available lights) whose temperature is known (i.e. something I can use for white balance)? For example if I know a certain light is 3200k I can use that information to set my camera's white balance. I think thats a cool way to go about it.

I recently checked B&H and they carry some fluroscent tubes of 5600k temperature etc. I'll probably go with that.

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
The http://www.alienbees.com are about as "shoesting" as I would willing to go for good quality strobes. If you want something so cheap that you will quickly outgrow them, most anything will work (i.e. Home Depot work lights).
Old May 23, 2006, 4:55 PM   #5

If you are thinking of those...check this out: http://www.leafamerica.com/3701.htm

Also, the very 1st link in this forum is full of studio lighting info....
Old May 23, 2006, 10:45 PM   #6

My first lighting setup was the small aluminum reflectors they sell at home depot. They cost about 4 bucks and have a clamp on them. Just clamp them to poles and buy some bright lights. I think I got some 200w phillips halogena bulbs or something, i can't remember. Worked good as long as I set my WB. And you can't mix in a fill flash or anything or else it looks terrible.

I may be imagning this, but I think someone told me they are called chicken lamps. Might be a colliquoal (sp?) name, so don't ask the guy at home depot for that if you are from NY or something.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:44 PM   #7

how did you set your WB? If I can solve this problem then half the job is done. I'm happy with hot lights as long as there is a way to set the WB correctly.

I want to use this lighting setup to take portraits and headshots. One or two people. I am also open to strobe lighting if a good one is available under 1000 bucks or so.
Old May 24, 2006, 7:26 PM   #8

You can either shoot raw and correct the WB in a program like Photoshop or you can use the custome WB setting in your camera if it has it. If there isn't a custom setting, pick tungsten and try to make sure you don't mix lights with different color temperatures.
Old May 25, 2006, 10:33 AM   #9

yes, I can certainly set the WB in photoshop or set color temperature in my camera. But I need to know the correct color temperature to do the latter! That is what I meant to ask. How do you know if your lights are 3200k or 3000k? Is there a way of measuring it?
Old May 25, 2006, 1:06 PM   #10

Incandescent lights are generally 3200K. I've used the same clamp-fixtures with Halogen bulbs (much brighter & HOTTER, plus the color temp is ususally on the package).