Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 27, 2003, 9:43 PM   #1

Default Softbox vs. Umbrella.....

I know both of these modifiers are to diffuse light, but what are the pros and cons of the two?

I am thinking of a 2 light set-up with umbrellas (SP-systems Excalibur 3200's) and a reflector.

Thanks a bunch.

Ed
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:15 PM   #2

The softbox doesn't spill light to the sides and back so you have more control and usually higher contrast than with an umbrella. This also makes a softbox generally more efficient, getting the same exposure with less light.

Unbrellas are easier to setup than a softbox which can be like setting up a dome tent. Umbrellas are lighter, placing less load on the light bracket and stand. Sofboxes attach with a speed ring specific to each brand of light so if you have multiple brands you'll need extras. You cannot assemble a sofbox without a speed ring.

A two umbrella setup is a smart way to go. I prefer Photoflex convertable umbrellas. They have a satiny fabric that works well for bounce or shoot through and come with a black back cover to reduce spill when bouncing.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 4:12 PM   #3

Default Re: Softbox vs. Umbrella.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binji7
I know both of these modifiers are to diffuse light, but what are the pros and cons of the two?

I am thinking of a 2 light set-up with umbrellas (SP-systems Excalibur 3200's) and a reflector.

Thanks a bunch.

Ed
Good choice, for better control of F-stops, lighting ratio, a various choices, the SP system with two monolights of 640 w/s would be a better choice for the money too, very powerful, came with 2 6400 heads, 2 44' umbrella,2 9 ft stands and a carrying case, I think B&H have them for about less than $700, good price.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 1:15 PM   #4

Just MHO but two 640ws lights is a lot. I have a single 640ws monilight and the only time I need that much power is when shooting film and need f22 for depth of field. The rest of the time using a Dimage 7 I almost never have 160ws lights up to full power. If I was shooting primarily with 35mm or DLSR I'd get 320ws units.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote